For you sauce makers...

Jim Burr

Anyone ever try substituting white balsamic for white wine or apple cider vinegar? We grabbed a fair amount of really nice stuff in Monterey last weekend and given it's yumminess...well, it could be a tasty. Ideas or recipes very welcome!!

I'd say use it the same way you would something more akin to adding worcestescehercshsihshier (Aw, you know, that stuff).

Balsamic seems to be sweeter, thicker, and provides more flavor than regular vinegar.

I don't think I would use it as a direct substitute for 'regular' vinegar. Particularly if you were going to jar or store the sauce. The acidity levels can be pretty important for that.

I'd say use it the same way you would something more akin to adding worcestescehercshsihshier (Aw, you know, that stuff).

Balsamic seems to be sweeter, thicker, and provides more flavor than regular vinegar.

I don't think I would use it as a direct substitute for 'regular' vinegar. Particularly if you were going to jar or store the sauce. The acidity levels can be pretty important for that.

The white we tried once was thinner/lighter than the normal stuff and is a lot closer to "regular" vinegars although somewhat sweeter/richer than many and may add a bit more depth in most uses (which is often not the "real" thing either but a colored replicant of dubious heritage and that is a whole nother ball of wax... I have a bottle of 18-years-in-the-barrel balsamic we got as a gift I've been saving for something special.. much different than the average store stuff).

The white we had ended up largely used all alone as a salad topping. It has a fantastic character all on its own, maybe combined with a little high quality EVO but mostly all by itself. I think we used it a couple of times for deglazing a pan for a quick pan sauce and once for glazed carrots before it ran out.

I would cook up some nice calamari then after it is cooled I would slice it thin and pour the vinegar over it liberally a little salt and fresh ground pepper. Leave it covered in the frig over night and enjoy as an appetizer. Used order the dish back in the day in Fan Fran. Served with a little sourdoug on the side. mmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Good stuff

I would cook up some nice calamari then after it is cooled I would slice it thin and pour the vinegar over it liberally a little salt and fresh ground pepper. Leave it covered in the frig over night and enjoy as an appetizer. Used order the dish back in the day in Fan Fran. Served with a little sourdoug on the side. mmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Good stuff

Heading to the fish monger first thing in the morning :thumb:

I would cook up some nice calamari then after it is cooled I would slice it thin and pour the vinegar over it liberally a little salt and fresh ground pepper
Ok...first, Don, I had Calamari steak last weekend. Second...stay on point...I'm talking about "WHITE" balsamic...it's filtered to remove the color, and I'd like a BBQ sauce idea...no squid this week.

Totally missed the white balsamic part. Never even heard of it.

But I do loves me some calimari. It can be the steak, or the tentacles, I love the stuff.

I'll have to do some research on the white balsamic.

Calimari does sound pretty tasty.

I've never used the white, but do mix the red into a glaze from time to time. I've only made sauce once and found I that there are so many others already made I wanted to try some of those first. It's been a slow process though as I typically don't use sauce. ;)

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you spelled that word wrong. You left out the third "sh". Common error. ;)

The correct pronunciation for Worcestersheestershystershire sauce is claimed to be (by some folks in England) " Woo Sta Shire"............a bunch of rank limey amateurs if'n ya ask me. What do they know about the language?:D

My Dad, and now I, always pronounced it "Wooster" without the Shire. And I was born in England, and for a while worked for the licensed Canadian manufacturer of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. Oddly, it and HP sauce are tremendously popular in Quebec. You wouldn't think they would use a maudit sauce anglais just on principle alone.

My Dad, and now I, always pronounced it "Wooster" without the Shire...

That's how I've heard my Welsh/English friend pronounce it, too. On the same token, she says "tomahto" and pronounces "water" as "woe-ter", so what does she know about pronunciation? :D

Wow! I've yet to see a thread go on for two pages without an answer to the origjnal question until now. Thanks for the fun but does anyone have an answer? I'll start a joke thread for the rest of you to reply.

My Dad, and now I, always pronounced it "Wooster" without the Shire. And I was born in England, and for a while worked for the licensed Canadian manufacturer of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. Oddly, it and HP sauce are tremendously popular in Quebec. You wouldn't think they would use a maudit sauce anglais just on principle alone.

I ran with some Cajun Coonass boys for awhile when going to school in Tulsa they taught me about Lea & Perrins but of course they call it Lea'Perryon :D My Aunt gave up trying to say it when she was younger and just call it choo choo juice