Baby Back Ribs

This is how I do them:

1. Dry the rack with paper towels. On the bone side of the rack, there is a thin, tough, slippery membrane which needs to be stripped off. (This is often the most difficult part of the recipe. Sometimes you can find a loose end, and just pull it off using paper towel or dishcloth to grip it. More often, you will need to cut a slit in the membrane, run a spoon under it until you separate enough of it to get a grip, and then strip it off. If you get lucky, it'll come off in one or two pieces. In any case, don't be tempted to skip this step.

2. Coat both sides of the rack with a good dry meat rub. I like McCormick Montreal Steak rub. Press the rub into the flesh.

3. Wrap the rack in aluminum foil, and seal the edges. Place on a broiler pan that will catch any drippings.

4. Place the pan in a 225 degree oven for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, depending on how meaty the rack is. You want to cook it slowly until the meat starts to shrink away from the ends of the bones, but not so long that the rack falls apart. Don't open the foil pack periodically to check things; there's plenty of slack in the process, so it's safe to make a reasonable guess about the time and just go for it. After the slow cooking is complete, drain the fat from the foil.

5. While the ribs are in the oven, get your sauce ready. This is a matter of personal preference, buy I like to use a thick brown sauce like Sweet Baby Ray's cut with malt or cider vinegar (about one part vinegar to two parts sauce.

6. Baste the rack with the sauce and put it on a hot oiled grille, bone side down initially. Turn the rack every few minutes, basting each time, until the sauce coats the meat. You'll know when it's ready to come off.

Enjoy.

Tony

Tony,

Your recipe is very similar to mine, including the use of SweetBabyRay's sauce. However, I use needle nose pliers (with teeth) to remove the membrane as it can be somewhat difficult to grab & pull off.

As Rachel Ray would say "DELISH!"

Sounds like a good recipe. I need to make ribs again!

(Why do I hear the dogs in the background agreeing with me?)