shaping and safety question

Frank Fusco

I am making a pedestal table. These are the braces for the top and bottom. I cut four of them from white oak, they will eventually be stained dark walnut to match the pedestal.
My original plan was to round the edges of the inside curve with my mini-shaper. But after cutting these out I decided I did not want my fingers that close to the shaper cutters so have passed on that idea for now. But, they have, to me, an unfinished look. I'm not sure what to do. Stained dark and where they will be located they will not be noticable but I'm still not happy with this look. p.s., edit: They are small, the long leg is only 3", short is 2"
Dunno wat to do. :huh:
Enney ideas? top brace.jpg

Double-stick tape them to a carrier. Turner's tape will do the trick, carpet tape is too spongy. If the screw holes wouldn't show, you could pocket hole it to the carrier.

foot-fix.JPG

Glenn, Darren, that is one of those so simple and obvious ideas I feel stoopid for not thinking of it myself. :doh: How I say "duh"?
Thanks. I'll do it as soon as I finish banging my head on the concrete floor. :bang:

don't worry Frank its a natural inclination of the human mind to build the taj mahal when a tent would suffice... Cant tell you how many rube Goldberg methods I have come up with in my shop only to have the lightbulb go off afterwards and give myself a good facepalm hehehehehe.

OR you could use an oscillating drum sander to smooth them out, if you have one.
My thought exactly. Plus, if you don't have an oscillating spindle sander, this would be a great "reason" to get one! :thumb: My motto is: Each new project should justify to the lady of the house that a new tool is needed for the project. :rofl:

Or, maybe, I should just have remembered to pull the tensioning lever down before working. :rolleyes:

The tensioning lever wouldn't have anything to do with burn marks. If anything, it would prevent them, because the blade would be slipping. (The blade shouldn't even move if the tension had been released.)