Here we go again--I have to appoligize again for not being here again.

Bruce Shiverdecker

In Memorium
This time since before July 10, 2013. On that date I was supposed to go in for routine removal of the Cancerous Right Kidney. A two hour proceedure.

It went anything but normal. After 10 minutes with the robot, they backed out and cut me open from right below my rib cage down to below my belly button.

I remained that way for three days (Open that is ) so that they could continue to try and stop the bleeding. It took 26 units of blood, 8 of platlets, and 10 of plasma.

Somewhere in that time I took a little time off from this world. Obviously this was tough on Barb my wife and Eric, my son. I knew nothing of what was going on. They had me so deeply sedated that it took a loooooooooong time for me to come around. I'm a little sketchy, since the doctors felt it better if I didn't know much.

I was in ICU for about a week, movet to I think a regular room, but still had a feeding tube, moved to another facility after Medicare required it. In Peoria, in's called Kindred. Nice place. After some time they started me on ot and pt. When time ran out again, I went back to the main hospital for accute pt and ot 6 days later they said that I was ok to come home. NOT!!!!!!

That night, as I was getting out of bed, I lost my balance and fell into the dresser. Made a lot of noise, woke Barb and scared her. That morning, I was getting ready to brush me teeth and got light headed, tried to set down on the toilet seat but slide off and down between it and the tub. I'm wider than the opening. It took 15 minutes for Barb and I to get me loose and on my feet. One more light headed episode and Barb was on the phone where she was told to take me to the ER. They said I was not sick, but not safe at home, so I ended up in a nursing home. That was some 6 weeks ago. I have received TOP NOTCH PT and OT. They identified the real reasons for my light headiness Blood Pressure and Vertigo. They also found weaknesses in my hips, knees, and ankles.
They developed exercises to strenghten those areas and corrected some walking problems I had.

I'm not completely cured, but well on the way. Time for outpatient pt, then I'll be ok.

Bruce

Well, how come you feel you need to apologize for not being here. I wouldn't be here either if I went through all that. Glad you are on the mend. Hope you are completely recovered soon.

Glad to hear things are getting more stable and with a positive outlook. Take the PT seriously to improve your life &those of your caring family.
Best wishes for a speedy &along term recovery.

Like others, no need for you to apologize to us. Glad you are still with us and able to communicate. That had to be an awful ordeal. I can somewhat empathize. I had a kidney trauma 16 years ago tommorow that kept me hospitalized for 5 weeks and three surgries and about same amount of blood replacement as you had. They finally fixed me with interventional surgery.
Very much hope all goes well for you from here on.