Flag Poles

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
My kids bought one for me fot fathers day about 3 years ago from harbor freight. I had my doubts but it has lasted through ice storms, blizzards, wind storms. I really like it. I'm sure it was a lot less than $300.

Hillbilly way here.... 20' top rail from a chain link fence, 2 lag screws thru it into the corner post of our rear deck... pop one screw out, loosen the other and the pole leans over when ever we need to put it at half staff, or change it out. Little 12 volt spot light keeps her lit all night. Nothing purty about it, but she's waving!

I've had a 20' three section aluminum pole that I bought at HD for going on 15 years. IIRC it cost around $90 at the time and looks similar to the one you linked to. Goes together nicely and has taken some serious winds with no damage. It is designed for a small flag but seems to handle larger OK.
DSC_0138 (Small).jpg

If I were to buy another, and may have to soon since the trees have grown up around mine, I would consider getting one of the taller commercial grade poles in the $300-500 dollar range from some place like Flagpole Warehouse or AmericanFlagStore. First check on your community and or subdivision height restrictions. I can go to 30' without problems and the big old garrison flag I got as a retirement gift would look good on that size pole.

I 'inherited' one of those three piece telescoping poles, no mounts or anything.

I found some PVC that was just about the right size and made some bushings for it to take up the slack. Buried that in a hole in some concrete and put up the flag.

Seems to work fine, especially with the winds we have.

I like that it's easy to pull down and out of the ground on the days when lightning is in the neighborhood.

Wow! Thanks all, appreciate the feedback

I like that it's easy to pull down and out of the ground on the days when lightning is in the neighborhood.

Brings up a good point. Do they recommend putting a ground rod and cable in for these? I think there are some fiberglass poles too, which would negate needing grounding.

Well, Actually, I don't know.

The pvc sleeve I have around it keeps the aluminum pole from directly touching any 'ground'.