Router Table Top

Paul Douglass

I find I am using my router table more and more. Mine is totally home made, top and fence. Back when I made it I didn't realize there is a standard size for the router plate and I cut a piece of plate aluminum I had far to large so I can't replace it. The reason I want to replace it is I can't use inserts that are available for other plates. Also, my aluminum plate leave gray marks on what ever I run across it, unless I wax it each time. Mine is one size fits all. So I am looking at replacing the table top, and plate and getting additional inserts for the plate. I've been looking at the Woodpecker and the Incra. The Incra would be a little cheaper, and I like the magnetic inserts, but I also like the Woodpecker set up. The only draw back I see to the Incra is it doesn't have T slot strips to fasten the fence to. I suppose I can add them. I will build a new fence because I just purchased the Incra Incremental Positioning Jig when it was on sale. It will not work with the fence I have currently.

Just wondering is anyone has either of these tabletop systems and what is your thoughts/recommendations.

Pictured below is what I currently have. I do not have a lift, the top is hinged to lift for changing bits and adjusting bit height. I'm fine with that, can't afford a lift.

IMG_1795.JPG

Last edited:
... The only draw back I see to the Incra is it doesn't have T slot strips to fasten the fence to. I suppose I can add them. I will build a new fence because I just purchased the Incra Incremental Positioning Jig when it was on sale...

If you're using an Incra positioner, do you still need the t-slots for the fence?

:doh:!:doh:!:doh:!:doh:

Only if i wanted to use my existing fence, can't think why I would though. I still get to make the fence, stop block and upright push thingy.

Well I ordered the Incra plate and some other stuff today anyway. I will have to make my own table top. None of the sizes they had would work well with my cabinet.

Thanks Vaughn for clearing my mind. I would blame it on getting old, but I've always been a little slow.....:huh::dunno:

Last edited:
:doh:!:doh:!:doh:!:doh:

Only if i wanted to use my existing fence, can't think why I would though. I still get to make the fence, stop block and upright push thingy.

Well I ordered the Incra plate and some other stuff today anyway. I will have to make my own table top. None of the sizes they had would work well with my cabinet.

Thanks Vaughn for clearing my mind. I would blame it on getting old, but I've always been a little slow.....:huh::dunno:

Even slow pics would be ok.

If you're using an Incra positioner, do you still need the t-slots for the fence?

Keep in mind, I have the Incra jig, not their fancy positioner. So reading the instructions the jig is mounted to a piece of plywood or MDF. The jig, fence, etc., can either be clamped to the table top or use T-slots. Guess I would rather use the T-slots to fasten mine. I knew there was a reason..... I'm slow but I eventually come around...:rolleyes:

This is what I bought when it was on sale:
http://www.incrementaltools.com/Original_INCRA_Jig_with_1_hour_Instructional_DVD_p/ij32.htm

Keep in mind, I have the Incra jig, not their fancy positioner. So reading the instructions the jig is mounted to a piece of plywood or MDF. The jig, fence, etc., can either be clamped to the table top or use T-slots. Guess I would rather use the T-slots to fasten mine. I knew there was a reason..... I'm slow but I eventually come around...:rolleyes:

This is what I bought when it was on sale:
http://www.incrementaltools.com/Original_INCRA_Jig_with_1_hour_Instructional_DVD_p/ij32.htm

Ah, OK. I had one of those too and you're right...t-track would be a good way to lock down the plywood base. :thumb:

I only used it for a little while before I got a good deal on the next better model. (And that one was replaced not too long afterward when I won my current one in a drawing.) I think it'll definitely be worth the trouble on a router table, especially if you can come up with a way to mount it in the same exact spot every time.

Got It Done

I completed my router table to today!

It is a little smaller than the original one was. I feel pretty good about it.

IMG_1818.JPG

I have a tilt top to get access to change bits and adjust height. In order to keep the router and plate from possibly falling when I tilt the lid I had to make brackets to hold it in. I didn't want to drill any holes in my new plate, so I used the ones provided for a router lift. I think it will work fine.

IMG_1820.JPG

This is what my little unit looks like with it's new top and fence. I may have to add a T-rail to my fence, not sure yet. I also want to be able to use my old fence so I will have to modify it a bit. I also still need to build a right angle jig to go with the Incra fence jig.

IMG_1821.JPG

well done paul, how do you like the incra inserts?

Have not used them yet, but I think they will be nice. The last homemade plate I had was one size fit all and I often was wishing I had a different size hole in it. Fact that is one of the main reasons I wanted to make a new setup. The other is I wanted an anodized plate. My only concern is the inserts are held with magnets. If they get much build dust on them will they hold? I'll just have to clean up more often.