Wine rack postion question?

larry merlau

i got a wine rack question, i dont keep many on hand, they tend to empty to fast, but have a guy that wants to change a cabinet above the micro wave to a wine cabinet and he has the lattace already i need to know the back space to hold bottles 2" then out another 6" to support the widest part of the bottle??? i have 11" of depth in the cabinet.. if i put the lattace out to the edge it wont be holding only neck and then it will be on down hill slide??? anyone with some input on this would be helpful.. thanks.. need to redo this and deliver sunday:(

Since the neck of the wine bottle needs to be low enough to keep the liquid covering the cork, it seems the simplest process is to match the openings in the lattice from front to back. If the outer lattice is to match the front of the cabinet, setting the back lattice 6" deeper should support the wide part of the bottle with a few inches to spare in the rear.

I'm not quite clear on what you're asking, but here is mine.

From the front of the front rail to the back of the back rail is 10", from the front of the front rail to the back wall on mine is 12", but 11" should be enough. My rails are 3/4" thick and the neck of the bottle rests on the front one.

2013-10-12 10.16.44.jpg

darren and bill, thanks for the input,, what i have is a lattace like you would have under a deck to keep critters out ,, a cross hatch pattern with 3.75" wide square holes, so bill your saying to have the back section lower than the frnt sectin but yet havew the bottle have some slope to the frnt to keep the cork wet?

The drawing Ken posted is what I was describing. Both pieces of lattice in the same orientation. That way, when you rest the wide part of the bottle on the back, the neck rests lower in the front as it should.

No need to thank me Larry, I just posted some pix showing what Bill was trying to say...
When Bill said "setting the back lattice 6" deeper", he probably had no idea that us northern folk would of said ' 6" further back from the front', can't blame those that never had a need to measure snow depth :D

Larry, are you going to size the rack specifically for the .75L bottles? Or, would you also allow for the 1.5L bottles as we'll? If the intent is to have the bottles readily available for sipping while cooking, the small bottles drain quickly! :rofl:

The way I make those racks is to line up the bottoms of the openings either cross hatch, half circles, or circles. The front and back are about 6" apart. The bottle sits at enough angle. From 3½" to 4" works for most all standard bottles (750 ml).

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif