In the Nick of Time

reminds me of a little paper mill project

That would be an attention getter! Was working in a paper mill, repairing the damage from the last time it blew up. A driver made a delivery in a one ton truck and parked his truck on the side of the road to step to a construction shack about twenty feet away to get his paperwork signed. He hadn't been out of his truck thirty seconds when a cable broke and about three hundred feet of crane boom dropped across the cab of his truck. The cab was level with the hood afterwards. The driver stepped back out and appeared a little pale and shaken for some reason.

That was one of the projects with nonstop alarms and accidents, mostly ignore them after awhile. I was working on a boiler when the fourteenth alarm of the day went off. I was three stories up at the time and not paying much attention. Somebody came flying down by me, "that is the twenty second warning!" I thought more like the fourteenth. Oh, you mean twenty seconds. Um, maybe I should leave too. I was a lot younger and spryer and was close to a hundred feet away from the boiler when we heard and felt a big thud. I climbed back up and realized we were done working on that boiler for awhile, the walls were all bulged out and I-beams that were only eight feet tall with a 24" web and I believe 14" wide, inch thick, sideplates if I remember correctly were badly buckled! That boiler had killed two men the last time it blew up and came to pieces. Wouldn't have hurt me that time had I been working on it when it blew up, the explosion was contained at least on my level, but I would have probably had to make a trip to the house for a change of clothes!

Hu