Small Router Plane

Excellent Jim, once again I am reminded that I love home made tools.

So you say you use it for hinges, am I correct in presuming then that you first chop the edges of the hinge location before using the router plane to lift the remains out? Love the cherry :thumb:

...So you say you use it for hinges, am I correct in presuming then that you first chop the edges of the hinge location before using the router plane to lift the remains out? Love the cherry :thumb:

I scribe the edges of the hinge with a striking knife, the use the little plane to remove the wood within the lines.

Nice little plane Jim, your design?

Pretty much, but I've seen very similar ones over the years. The good old-fashioned 'Hag's Tooth' or 'Mother-in-Law's Tooth.' Mine might be a tad smoother than those...:rolleyes:

Very nice! Where do you get #71 irons?

From my #71, of course! Seriously, though, Lee Valley has them, and I think Highland Woodworking does, too.

Very nice Jim. So your design clamps the the blade securely? As you know, some of the small metal router planes have a tendency for the blade to slip.

Very nice Jim. So your design clamps the the blade securely? As you know, some of the small metal router planes have a tendency for the blade to slip.

It holds better that my old Stanley 271, and at least as well as my small Lee Valley one. Those blades have round shanks, and the #71 blades have larger square shanks, so there's more to grip in the clamping.