Don't fence me in

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
My next "woodworking" project, build a fence between my yard and the neighbor. The primary purpose of which is to hide the view of the mobile holiday inn that has been parked in their driveway, whithou moving, for almost 11 years. :eek:

The fence will be 6' high and about 24' long - the string line tells all.
image3.jpgimage4.jpg
The design will match the front fence I put in 2 years ago and the bench I built this past summer.
DSCN1031.jpgDSC_0005.jpgDSC_0097.jpgEast Fence - Fancy.jpg
Picked up all the lumber yesterday - 100% cedar. Should be fun!
image1.jpgimage2.jpg

Maybe they are just using it as a fence to block the view of your driveway.

If I was your neighbor I would, my wife would be nagging me all the time "why can't you build stuff like Rennie does!". :)

Love the details in all your work, the fence is no exception.

That is going to look great Rennie. As to the eye-sore; what better thing to do with an old model R.V. than set it in your driveway for all to enjoy? I've got it. Prop the rear end up on old car rims and stack an old pallet next to it for that real "You may be a red neck if" quality.

. . . . my apologies to all my red neck friends; I have a few.

You are fortunate. In our county no fences over four feet high are allowed in front yards. The neighboring city recently changed their ordinance to allow 8' fences in rear yards and I hope we follow suite. Sometimes you just can't have enough fence.

Very nice, you certainly do good work.

I'm a bit surprised at how close your front gate and fence are to the sidewalk, where I come from in Canada, the city keeps an easement at the front of everyone's property of about 8', which you have to mow, but you cannot build anything on, that way if they need to widen a road etc they have the land, but this precludes just about any fence in the front yards.

Maybe they are just using it as a fence to block the view of your driveway.

If I was your neighbor I would, my wife would be nagging me all the time "why can't you build stuff like Rennie does!". :)

Love the details in all your work, the fence is no exception.
Actually, my driveway is on the opposite side of my house as these are my rear neighbors - I live on a corner lot.
Ariel 2012.jpg

That is going to look great Rennie. As to the eye-sore; what better thing to do with an old model R.V. than set it in your driveway for all to enjoy? I've got it. Prop the rear end up on old car rims and stack an old pallet next to it for that real "You may be a red neck if" quality.

. . . . my apologies to all my red neck friends; I have a few.
They are a strange but well meaning and neighborly bunch, except for the 6 cars, one motorcycle, and the RV. Of course the RV takes up all of the driveway so the 4 of the 6 cars are usually parked along the side of my property, 2 in front of theirs, and the MC is often is parked in the middle of the sidewalk in front of their home. Did I mention only 4 drivers live in the home? :huh: I don't know why they keep the RV. They do not own a pull vehicle - at least the one they had, a early 70's IH Traveall, is no longer capable of getting out of its own way let alone pull something else with it.:rofl: The RV has left the driveway only once in over 12 years when they loaned it out to a friend for a week.

You are fortunate. In our county no fences over four feet high are allowed in front yards. The neighboring city recently changed their ordinance to allow 8' fences in rear yards and I hope we follow suite. Sometimes you just can't have enough fence.
Actually, it's the same here. This fence is going in my side yard.

Very nice, you certainly do good work.

I'm a bit surprised at how close your front gate and fence are to the sidewalk, where I come from in Canada, the city keeps an easement at the front of everyone's property of about 8', which you have to mow, but you cannot build anything on, that way if they need to widen a road etc they have the land, but this precludes just about any fence in the front yards.
Same here, but you build in the right-of-way at your own risk. Theoretically the city could come in and remove anything that it wanted up to 30' from the center-line of the street to make way for widening, pipelines, utilities, etc. But I live in a 40 yr old subdivision and there is little chance of having to deal with anything. I did have to do scale drawings and a plot plan for the fence permit.

Nice work you do Rennie and the fence will finish it off. I wont even go near fence subjects anymore. Had enough bad memories stemming from fences. Next place i have is barbed wire fence and neighbors very far from that. :)

I prepared all of the stock for the decorative top of the fence today. Then, with the help of a jig, I put together the 20 pieces for the top of the fence. Just nailed together for now, because they will be screwed to a horizontal piece prior to installation.

daga4aza.jpg
8epa2aqy.jpg
dapa8eze.jpg
eqetagy6.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful fence Rennie. Since it is a property dividing fence, here in Indiana property neighbors have to share the cost of the fence. Since you designed, purchased the material, building and erecting the fence, any chance of them paying their fair share so you could at least recoup the cost of material?