Astronomy field table.

Roger Tulk

For some time, I have wanted a table to hold charts and guides when I am in the field, particularly at star parties. I saw a design for a construction field table in WOOD a while back, and although I couldn't find it again, I was able to reconstruct it in my mind and came up with what you see below. The construction is entirely dowel and glue, except for some brads holding the front ledger in place. It folds as you see, and only needs a bungee cord around it to make a portable package that can lie in the bed of my pickup when I go places. It's white so people won't bump into it even in very dark fields. Not really pretty, but practical.

astrtable01.jpg astrtable02.jpg astrtable03.jpg astrtable04.jpg Astrtable05.jpg

Roger, That looks like it will work just fine. You better not leave what goes on at star parties up to our imagination:) I'm assuming astronomy activities. Do you have a telescope?

I have two scopes, both pretty much entry level, a 6" reflecting scope and a 4" refractor. Because of the poor quality of the skies whre I live, I mostly observe the Moon and planets from home, but if I can get a way to a good dark site (where star parties are held) I can see more of the amazing things that are out there. I also have a 11.5" mirror to build into a scope some day (soon, I hope.)

I haven't been to Starfest, but I've been to Cherry Springs Star Party about five times, and Black Forest Star Party once, both at the same location in PA. Ive taken myself up to Tobermory and Manitoulin Island as well.

I agree with Bill that looks cool for all sorts. I like the approach of not getting too fancy, that way it goes in the truck and u dont get upset if it gets a ding or two.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Very nicely done, Roger. :thumb: No need to get all fancy with it...as Rob said it's bound to get some dings anyway, plus, it'll be dark - nobody will be looking that closely at it anyway. :D

I have two scopes, both pretty much entry level, a 6" reflecting scope and a 4" refractor. Because of the poor quality of the skies whre I live, I mostly observe the Moon and planets from home, but if I can get a way to a good dark site (where star parties are held) I can see more of the amazing things that are out there. I also have a 11.5" mirror to build into a scope some day (soon, I hope.)
I have been obsessed with Obsession Dobbies for years. Would love to have an 18UC but hate the thought of having to drive for hours to find sky dark enough to enjoy it.

Took my scope out last night, and set up the table for the first time. It was so cold some of the electronics didn't work properly, and some of the knobs were very stiff to turn, but the table is exactly what the doctor ordered - the right height, and room to set lots of things down on it. Cold enough to freeze the... Well, you know. :D

That's a great little table. I need to build a little folding table, only with a flat top for when we to RV'n to put outside between my wife and me, for holding whatever we are drinking or a plate of goodies.

I have a telescope but have never been able to quite figure it out. It's not a real good one but it was free. It was the gift I selected from the company I worked for as a my 25th year anniversary. I have a real difficult time looking through a telescope or binoculars. I have astigmatism and to look through something like that give me a real pain in my eyes. I need one that I can hook to a computer and look at it that way. The other problem, is looking at the stars make me feel sooooo insignificant, it depressing! :( ;)