What came in the mail today!

Roger Tulk

I have always wanted a #3 plane, but they are fairly rare, and often not in good condition, or priced astronomically. I happened across this one, that is in good shape and priced about the same as a #4 in similar condition. I had been looking to replace my Stanley #4 as I sold it cheap to a friend, then realized that my other #4 was a Canadian made knock-off (Nevertheless, it's still a good plane.) I got this type 15 (1931-32) for $65, and it is in perfect condition. In the spring I'll hone it a bit, and put it right to work.

Number 3 2.jpg Number 3 1.jpg

The white spots on the tote and knob are an artifact of the flash. They actually appear as paler spots on the wood and are harldy noticeable.

Nice looking plane. I haven't figured out planes yet. I just never get them adjusted correctly. I have several that were my Dads. I've refinished the handles and wooked on cleaning them up, but I haven't unlocked the secret on how to use them yet. I do have one little palm (whatever it is called) plane that I do use. Fits in the pocket of my apron. It only has one little adjustment to it.

Paul, there are several good books around. I have one called "Working with Handplanes," that contains a lot of good advice. I sharpen my bench planes to a 25º bevel, making sure the edge is square to the sides, then put a 3º secondary bevel on it, using 1000 and 4000 grit waterstones. Some people go as high as 8000 or even 10000, but I find my planes work excellently at 4000. Make sure the frog is parallel to the mouth of the plane, and take the thinnest shaving you can. I start with the blade fully retracted and push it over a piece of scrap wood advancing the blade until it is taking an even, very thin shaving. Earlier in my life I used to try and take 1/16" shavings and could never figure out why anyone used these useless tools.

Nice looking plane. I haven't figured out planes yet. I just never get them adjusted correctly...

Arrange a road trip to go meet Bill Satko. ;) I had the same problem with planes until Ken Werner stopped by to visit me once. In 30 minutes he showed me more than I had learned in a year or more of reading.

Nice plane Roger, I have a no 3 that was given to me on permanent loan by our Steve. Nothing beats the satisfaction of working wood with a plane you have tuned up and brought back to life.

Why wait for spring setup in the house and go to work on the blade and cap iron.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

www.rexmill.com is a great resource for refurbishing, tuning up, or using bench planes. You won't go wrong with that resource. They explain several ways of doing things for the practical user or the meticulous restorer.
Enjoy your #3

That plane looks great. I am so glad you got it.

Don't get too many more though or you will be like Bart---Plane Crazy.

Enjoy,
JimB

I am already a little plane crazy, as I have about 30 of them, up from one, three or four years ago. I am bidding on two on eBay at the moment. With a little luck, I'll be outbid and I won't have to risk the wrath of the Memsahib.