More trailer drama

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Today I took the garage trailer in for a new tire. Turned out I needed 2 new tires. Why am I not surprised!?!

Actually I was surprised when I crawled under the trailer and found no springs!

Two axles.jpg

It appears this trailer has the Dexter rubber torsion bar system. Here is a close up of the wheel from the backside.

one wheel.jpg

Not nearly the moving parts Rob is dealing with! So I decided it was a keeper. Had the bearings repacked, seals replaced and everything lubed as well. Brakes checked. Wheels checked. All checks out OK by a guy I trust. It has its dings and scars but seems to be solid otherwise. Well, beauty is only skin deep. Its whats deeper that counts. Tomorrow will be the defining moment. At o'dark thirty I am off to Kingman to clear out the trashed trailer. Plan to make it over and back in one day. ~550 miles total.

Hopefully no surprises. I got enough money in this venture.

Ok, Looks like a nice trailer, but tomorrow sounds like a lot of work. Best of luck to you and DONT BREAK ANY MORE TRAILERS!!!!

LOL

You are a glutton for punishment Carol. That sounds like a long trip and a full days work. I'd have to make it an overnight just to keep from falling asleep on the way home. Drive safe.

I am beginning to dread the sound of the word trailer. :rofl: Way to go Carol glad you got it sorted and its in good shape.

That's the torsion bar system. Don't have any info on it. At least it does not have the bits associated with leaf springs.

Good luck with the trip tomorrow. That's a whole lot of work to be doing in one day incl driving. Hope you got some help.

Rob, if you are going to upgrade your trailer, you might take a serious look at this system. I hope the PP has it also, but I don't know yet. The axles are welded to the frame. I'm sure something can go wrong, but I can't imagine what. Looks pretty beefy under there. The previous owners did zero maintenance, but given the skin rash, I'd say they drove it hard and put it away wet. Hopefully we salvaged it. We gave it a really close look. At least it is properly lubed and it has four good tires and two marginal spares.

I do have help tomorrow. I plan to supervise and if I am too tired to come back, I'll get a room for the night. Playing it by ear.

Torsion axles are good reliable mechanical devices. Many modern horse trailers utilize this type of axle. Most "stock" trailers though have stayed with the leaf spring set up due to off road ground clearance as well as vertical travel needed. I sit here with no less than 6 trailers, 3 of which were built by me, but all are worked extremely hard. Rob, you need to keep after that manufacturer. You have to new of a trailer to have these kind of problems. Carol, keep an eye on your tread wear, otherwise you will need to find a shop that rebuilds semi trailers. In the world of semis, trailers get beat up, flipped over, flopped on their sides way more than the average person even suspects. There is a whole industry out there rebuilding/refurbishing semi trailers. They will from time to time take on an easy job of replacing axles and spring/torsion set ups on lighter trailers. Good luck, you have done your job well, that trailer should handle that job easily. Don't wear yourself out "white knuckling" the whole trip as you will be emotionally a wreck. Noises and movements when you just know something is going to happen can come out of nowhere and the least sound can become through your imagination a disaster just around the next corner. Enjoy your day, enjoy your trailer, now you know why you bought a good truck that is suitable for the task, it kept you out of the ditch your trailer upright. Good thoughts for your day being sent!

Good insight there from Jonathon, who knows his trailer 'stuff'. I am not familiar with the rubber torsion thing. Interesting. I would have a concern with the age of the rubber. Suspect they have to be replaced periodically. Once found out the hard way trailers need special trailer tires (ST). Yep, 550 miles in one day with work included is a long, hard day. Doable but for a lot of people, the limit. Overnight is easier, albiet more expensive. But, it is an excuse to look for a good restaurant in a new city. :rolleyes:

The deed is done. Mountain driving pulling a filled trailer is not a joy, I can tell you. But the trip was uneventful mechanically, though I parked it in the dark. Didn't hit anything but tomorrow I will go and see how well I did! 5 AM to 8 PM. Long tiring day.

@Frank. The rubber cords are enclosed in the tube. Short of a fire, I don't see how they would deteriorate.