Mechanical tool draws

Rob Keeble

Well I had a great start to my past weekend, went to the depot I dunno thur fri last week to pick up a piece of pressure treated wood and what do you know when I went to cut it in half a guy in front of me in the line was having ply cut.

I had never seen the stuff before. So I asked where he got it and low and behold HD got a shipment in of ply from Chile. So I am told. Never heard of Chile making ply.

Anyhow the big rave was the price of the stuff. I went over and checked while I waited and sure enough it was a deal for us Canadians. So I left with 6 sheets 3 half inch and 3 of 3/4.

Over the weekend I got it all cut up in anticipation of making some shop cabinets but this time for mechanical stuff. My collection of mechanics tools has grown and the scout project tool tote that youngest son made is getting very tiring as a wrench storage tool.

So no pics its just cut ply at this stage. Also got some cut for the ultimate woodworking tool chest but I will make a different thread for that projects progress.

Of course I had hoped to get these projects done before snow flys around these parts but Monday saw the temp drop an got worse since then with flurries in the sky today.

I hope it warms up some before we prevented from working outside for the rest of the year.

I did find a great video of a mobile cart a guy made to trick out his tool cart for working on his car. Very tempted to follow his lead I think it looks cool and rolls well.

Check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i24X4Q11htQ

What you think Alan B ? an upgrade?

Need to check with our borg from time to time, they seem to get a special pallet of ply once it a while. Picked up some 3/4" maple a while back for $40 a sheet, wish I had bought more of it. I've had hit/miss though with their ply, some of it had to be used for small projects as it warped pretty badly.

Not a bad use of those 10" wheels, may have to do at least one cart like that myself.

Well Bob nothing specifically special about the ply except that it was way cheaper than the normal stuff and sanded both sides. Also more cores than normal almost BB style. Its not the best grade but for shop projects its absolutely perfect.

Yeah i thought those wheels were more cool than practical but mechanical tools add up in weight quickly so moving them around will require decent size weight rating castors and then if u consider obstacles outside of the shop those rubber wheels aint a bad idea.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Definitely a little larger than my mechanics tool chest! I sure could use those casters on mine though.

It isn't as large as the guys in the video but it sure is heavy with the tools in it.
010 (2).jpg012.jpg013.JPG

Of course it has your favorite type of drawer slides.
001 (2).jpg

A picture just after it was finished with some of the tools in it. It has a lot more in there now.
011.jpg

And one of the bare carcass during construction. All scrap solid wood except for the 1/4" plywood drawer bottoms.
008.jpg

This cabinet holds the mechanics tools I use 99% of the time. I have one other mechanics tool chest that holds all my specialized mechanics tools.

Dang u playing with me.;) Torturing me with your great ideas Alan. You should teach class.
But i really like the handles on those others you made. :thumbup:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2