Tool Tote Tray

Art Mulder

Quick and Simple afternoon project...

I recently inherited a collection of handtools.

Since, I already have a pretty complete selection of these basic tools in my shop, I decided that some of them (pictured here) would form the core of my "jobsite" tools.

Now, I'm not a contractor, but I still occasionally have a reason to bring tools to a friend's house, or somewhere else, and gathering up a the right set of tools from my shop was always a chore. Inevitably I would forget the one item that I later find that I need.

I thought about making myself a fancy wooden toolbox... but only briefly. Rather, I decided to work with this canvas tool tote that I already owned. It's strong, and a good size, and I already own it. (And yes, it was a freebie once when I bought some green tools... No, not THOSE green tools.)

The downside of this tote, is that it is just one big compartment inside. I don't want to just dump all my tools in it: That makes it hard to find things, and can lead to damaged tools, and so on. So I set about designing with a small tray/organizer to fit inside this tote.

Here is one situation when a mock up in cardboard is a very good idea. I grabbed a handy box that I had and set to work.
Here's what I came up with, a basic shallow tray. I have a lot of screwdrivers, so I mocked up a cardboard insert down the middle, where I would drill holes to hold all those various screwdrivers as well as a few other tools. This would also serve as a divider, so I could keep the hammer and a few other large tools on the one side, and have the other side open for various uses.

Here it is, inside the tote... It seemed to fit fairly well, and I liked how the centre divider was looking, so I moved on to working in wood from my scrap pile.

I considered using plywood for the sides, but I had some pine available which I discovered was actually lighter than plywood. So I planed that down to 1/2" thickness, ripped it to 3-1/2" wide, and then milled box joints in the ends to make up a box.

Next, I turned my attention to the divider. I picked out a piece of 2x4 and ripped it to just 2" wide, which from the cardboard mockup seemed sufficient width to allow a double row of screwdrivers. I then marked out the locations for the screwdrivers and other things (such as the nailset shown in the photo) to be placed in the divider.

After drilling holes in that piece and trying things out, I ended up scrapping it and making up a second divider. This one I notched at the ends to fit over the ends of the tray. The main reason for this is that I realized that I wanted to hold the screwdrivers a bit higher off the bottom of the tray -- some of the screwdrivers are quite long.

I glued some thin plywood into a rabbet along one side, and boxed in a small area on the one end, where I put a square-ish opening for other random tools.

Here it is, being glued into place. You can now see the hole I cut in the left side of the divider, which is why that end of the divider is boxed in.

Here it is all filled with my inherited tools. There is a full set of screwdrivers: three each of Phillips, Robertson, and Slotted. As well a nail set, compass+pencil, chisel, needle-nose pliers, cutters, adjustable wrench, a tape measure, and the all important hammer. Everything is sorted and organized, and the other side of the tray is still completely empty.

As you can see, it nicely fits inside the fabric tote, and holds all my "jobsite" tools nicely organized and ready to go. Hopefully no longer will I be somewhere only to discover I don't have the right size/kind of screwdriver with me...

thanks for reading...

Well worth the time and effort to make, and I like the fabric bag because you can easily zip it closed and stuff stays in the bag!

Thanks for sharing, I too may borrow that idea, and make up one set for visiting apartments that need stuff fixed, I'd have to add plumbing tools but the basic concept is great! :thumb:

That's a great idea. I've got a bunch of those bags I use for all sort of things. Seems like a lot of them would benefit from some sensible organization.

Art, that is just amazing! I carry a similar bag around the farm as well as one for in the field with the team. EVERYTIME, I need something it is on the BOTTOM! You are a genius. I think this is a small enough project to get me in my shop in a week or so. Thanks!

That is a great idea:thumb: I have a yellow job site bag that I just fill with tools when needed, I like this idea and see a conversion coming this winter:)

Awe Shucks, guys... :eek:

I'm glad that I've given you folks some inspiration. I didn't think the idea was that outstanding, but I'm now very glad I decided to photo-document it.

Wow, missed this one, but excellent idea Art! :thumb: I've got 3 of these bags I use for various things. One is for my range bag, but can see some potential for organizing it too and giving my pistols slots to sit in and a small area for tools.

I liked Art's idea so much that I took it one step further.

I'll call this my "Go Bag". All the tools in this bag are seconds, or extras, so they will live in this bag, and this bag alone.

IMG_6577_zpsa49db944.jpg

I bought this softsided tool bag for about $20, and I built a tray in it much like Art did, I think my bag is a big larger than Arts, and I'll bet that it ended up much heavier.

IMG_6578_zpsd5b515da.jpg

A peek inside.

IMG_6579_zps4e93c342.jpg

What's in the bag.

I have to do a lot of stuff, often taking care of busted stuff in the our rental apartments, or work installing stuff at clients place at work.

I cannot remember the number of times that I've thrown stuff into a bag/bucket to go fix something and then I got there and found out I had forgotten something that I had to have :doh:

I hope this solves most of these problems, we shall see.

Thanks for the idea Art!

I liked Art's idea so much that I took it one step further.
Thanks for the idea Art!

Wow, that looks heavy. ;)
I'm jealous of your little stubby yellow picquic. That is TINY! Great for compact portability and able to get into tight spaces.

I find it interesting that you bought it there, and it is labelled in english... :dunno:

The extension cord is a good idea. Hmm, actually a lot of good ideas in your tool selection.
What is the skinny thing to the right of the picquic on the bench?

Wow, that looks heavy. ;)
I'm jealous of your little stubby yellow picquic. That is TINY! Great for compact portability and able to get into tight spaces.

I find it interesting that you bought it there, and it is labelled in english... :dunno:

The extension cord is a good idea. Hmm, actually a lot of good ideas in your tool selection.
What is the skinny thing to the right of the picquic on the bench?

Yeah heavy, but with this setup I can fix or repair just about anything, just grab the bag and go!

The skinny thing is a small razor knife, there is also a larger one, red in color, I like to have both.

The PicQuic was bought in Canada, and sent to me as a Christmas present, IIRC. I also have two of the regular sized ones, also both bought in Canada, you can tell because they have the Robbie bits in them. They do sell them here in Japan, with no robbie bits.

I'll also add a basic set of drill bits, a small can of WD40 and some Bailing wire. :D

I do have duct tape there, about 3 meters wrapped around a block of hard plastic, it is sitting on top of the Crescent wrench.

I'm also going to add some electrical connectors, the crimp type, some solder and a jet lighter.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Duct tape around a smaller bobbin is a great space saver, nice tip! :thumb:

This will be one of my next projects, thanks for posting guys. Seems like I'm always carrying a bucket full of the same tools and digging though the bucket for the one I need is a pain. I've got about 3 of those bags sitting around.