Pork Loin Chops

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I bought a pork loin about a month ago on sale, sat it out this last week to defrost. Normally I wouldn't do a brine on a pork loin, but I wasn't sure I'd get it smoked right away, so it sat in a brine for about 3 days.

I only did a light rub on the outside and smoked it at about 220 for 4 hours.
2013-10-27 13.45.45.jpg

I got busy with closing the pool and went to check on it and realized that the hopper ran out of pellets. :doh: So I refilled it, brought it back up to temp and cooked about another hour until it hit about 150 internally. I pulled it and let it sit foiled up tight for about 30 minutes (had to run to walmart for more food saver bags).

The outside was a bit on the salty side, but it sure did it's job, they were juicy and tender. I sliced them into about 1" chops, which I'll toss on the grill to heat up and get some grill marks. The end caps I'll save and mince up for pork tacos one night.
2013-10-27 20.30.42.jpg

That's a cool idea, I have always shyed away from those cuts because of size. Between you and Brent we can now venture there.:thumb::thumb: I love the idea of being able to haul a couple out and put them on the BBQ.:thumb: Don't know why never thought of that before.:eek:

BTW try a porkchop with bone in and crumb them and fry. Linda does this and in our tiny family its a home cooked favorite. Boys are hankering for moms pork chops. But it needs to be the cut with the bone still on. ;)

That does look good. Makes me hungry just looking at t.

Until recently I thought pork tenderloins were tender, but not especially tasteful actually kid of bland. That is until last week when I grilled a couple. I tied them to simulate a uniform log size & applied the usual pork rub as usual. However, this time I injected them with our favorite pork BBQ sauce in several locations. The sauce permeated the meat well & added a lot of flavor. There weren't any "saturated" areas at all. I'll inject all in the future for sure.

I have to say, these were some darn good chops. I only
left three out and froze the rest in packs of 3 or 4. My wife was not happy as she wanted to take some for lunches this week. :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Sweet!!! I love pork loin because you can go anything with it. Costco always has good process on the 2(4) pack...2 packs, but 2 in each pack...about 12-13 bucks for 4. What kind of brine are you using Darrin?

2 quarts water, 1/2 cup salt, and 1/2 cup sugar. I'd normally put some apple juice in the brine too, just didn't have any on hand.

2 quarts water, 1/2 cup salt, and 1/2 cup sugar. I'd normally put some apple juice in the brine too, just didn't have any on hand.

The easy way to remember is a quarter cup per quart. So 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup suger per quart of water....

Great idea, Darren! We love pork and I'm always looking for new ways to prepare it. Next time will be your way!

The site where I got the idea from said after you brine the loins, you may want to put them in some fresh water for a bit to draw out / wash off some of the salt. I forgot to do that, wasn't too bad, but I'll probably try that next time.