For the Traditional Hand Tool Advocate

Al Launier

I just ran across this site & thought you might enjoy seeing some of the upscale tools displayed on the video (Woodworking in America 2013) at http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/. A really impressive line-up of hand tools. I particularly liked the plane shown by Juan Vergara of JV Planemaker near the end of the video. Simply beautiful! Enjoy!

Added to the list of "things I've seen but shouldn't have".

That Scott guys wooden jointer plain is an interesting shape. I've got a chunk of wood I've saved for ~3? 4? years that's destined to be a wooden jointer.. Hmmm..

Really didn't need to see the LV shooting plane again. Already seen to much of it. Don't tempt me more.

bThanks Al, although I have been following the various blogs about the recent Woodworking in America, I missed Mark's video. It did a good job of showing some new tools I have been wanting to see. I have been waiting for LN to finally produce their version of the plow plane. I like Dave Jeske's new mallet (Blue Spruce Tools). He is also working on some special limited edition brass squares that look very nice.

squares.jpg

I am looking for a 12" carcase or tenon show to fit a gap that I have. I am leaning toward the saws that Issac Smith (Blackburn Tools) makes. He makes some wonderful saws.

http://www.blackburntools.com/new-tools/new-saws-and-related/index.html

There is so many good tools out there. We are living in a golden era of tool making.

Last edited:
Yeah we sure are but same goes for price.:) But ironically its as a result of great machines :D

Bill what makes you want to buy a mallet? I am going to make my own heavy duty mallet and do it by a mix of hand and machine tool. This way you get to customize the handle to suite your own tastes. I like the idea of having leather on one face.

Many of these hand tools i look at like a piece of engineering art not just a tool. Thats why i think a tool cabinet more than draws is inspiring it shows them off.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Bill what makes you want to buy a mallet? I am going to make my own heavy duty mallet and do it by a mix of hand and machine tool. This way you get to customize the handle to suite your own tastes. I like the idea of having leather on one face.

You are right Rob, it is easy to make and probably the way I should go. His mallet is infused with acrylic making it very dense and practically indestructible. It would sure cut down on me having to trim up the surface of my current mallet every once in a while. Not that it is much effort to do.