Power Router Lift

on their website, you can go on a mailing list when it came in stock, the one time it came in stock briefly, the email went to my spam and I never got it.
I saw this post the other day, looked on their site, still didn't see it listed, got their catalog yesterday, not listed, but I jumped on that link and ordered one, figured worth the try, I wanted this, I have a mlcs router table extension.
wooohooooo! look what just showed up!

the Milwaukee router is too large, I don't have an adaptor kit, but I think I want to keep the Milwaukee for other tasks, so Im going to buy a porter cable router motor for underneath. I think its the 890 series.
Ill never be able to work under the table and install it myself, so I have to wait until my son is free, and Saturday hes coming to install the floor and TV. Ill have to book him again.

thanks, dan, never would have known about this if you didn't post it.

Attachments

• 100_1573.jpg
    100_1573.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 30
gonna take a day off from the woodworking today and go shop around for a router. Just look, probably get the best price on amazon, but its fun to shop around and I can get some input from some tool people.
Im leaning towards the PC 890 series. 2 and 1/4 horsepower.

PC 890 is a great choice.

Carol, I notice in your book, pictures of Bosch 1617 and Porter Cable routers. I'd be curious of you opinion on which one is best, or are they equal, or whatever. I've alway heard Porter Cable router were very good routers, but have never owned one. I plan on purchasing a second router eventually so I don't have to dismount my Bosch from the table to use it as a hand held router. My concern about the Porter Cable, which is not the original Porter Cable company, and other items of that brand name appear to me to have deteriorated IMHO, is the router as good as it use to be?

I couldn't find alan Bs phone number, I figured hes been in the business for a while, makes a lot of raised panel doors, I was going to ask him if he thought 2 and 1/4 hp would be fine. right now I have a Milwaukee 3 and a 1/2 hp, and it does anything.

Carols reco is enough for me to purchase the 890.

I never got to the tool store today.
I slipped off my step up into my truck and sprained my knee a bit, so Im taking it easy the rest of the day(Ill attach some cabinet face frames)

Is it the same? Don't really know. I haven't looked at the latest batch of routers on the market. With PC's tooling set up to use basically the same motor for decades, I'd be surprised if things have changed all that much. It is easier and cheaper to change the esthetics and call them improvements. Guess I should go take a closer look but that item on my agenda won't see the light of day for a while. Sorry I couldn't be more help. I have the PC 890, only one of them, but it is my go to router. You see other brands in the book because the publisher insisted. I personally didn't like the Makita. The Bosch has an equal number of advantages and disadvantages. PC's had proven to be nearly bullet-proof. Reason I don't have much else left of the Router Lady heydays. DeWalt was coming into that size market about the time the book was written (2002, published in 2003), so you don't see that one. All the routers in the book I actually I owned - no manufacturer 'loans'.

Thanks for the input Carol. When I get enough saved up for another router I will have to look real serious at the P.C. Gotta say I have never read a bad report about one.

Congrats, Al. You will be very pleased, I'm sure.

I am so envious. Had a hard time going to sleep last night thinking about it. I wonder if I could make one of those fit my Incra plate I just installed.... Nah, Paul, get on with your other projects, you can't afford it.....

even though I can lower and raise my router with the T handle it came with, I still have to get underneath and push it up sometimes.
Its a back killer for me, and when I have the fence in position with all the hold downs, I have reset it all everytime I want to raise or lower the bit, this will completely eliminate all of that. Since the price was the same as the manual lift, I jumped on it, but I was always keen on the electronic one.
Im just disappointed I cant use my Milwaukee 5625 in it.

The P.C. 892 is a great router and up till last week was my goto router. I was making raised panel doors and on the rails and sitles it had no problem. But my raised panel bit I have the set from harbor freight the panel bit is 3" dia. smoked the motor. Now I need $120 in parts to fix it and I am looking for a 3 + hp router to spin my panel bit. So in review the 892 is great but on large bits be aware the electronic control don't let you know when you are over working the motor.
Ps it was late in the day and i was taking off a bit more then i normally do.

Last edited:
the power lift is not working correctly.
Ive always been reluctant to purchase any refurbished electronics, but wanted this and it hasn't been available for a year, maybe that was the clue?
We checked and did everything on the troubleshooting list 3 times, but I knew from the start it wasn't working correctly, the digital readout just keeps running up through 150 inches, and keeps going.
The machine goes up and down and speed control works, but cant set it to a height.
seems that's the part that was refurbished, because the plate where it attaches to the base is a different plate than the picture in the manual. and theres an extra screw hole on the base of the unit where the other plate with 2 screws was attached.
I bummed out, Ill see how customer service handles the problem.(Id like them to ship me the parts, hoping its not the monitor itself)

That's a bummer for sure. I've never bought any refurbished electronic things, but a lot are my power tools I bought refurbished. Have not had a problem with a one of them (knock on wood). I hope they remedy it for you quickly.