New Stanley planes

By the way... I've only seen about half a dozen examples of the 'New Stanley' planes, but all of them have been severely flawed. Poor castings, with ill-fitted frogs. Poorly finished dyed hardwood handles, and blades that had to be skewed significantly in order to line up squarely with the mouth. (not sure if it was poor blade grinding or misaligned mouth in the casting). Paint on the bed casting looked like it'd been dipped and wiped, not masked and sprayed, or powdercoated.

I wouldn't have bought one for even half the asking prices.

The seller is obviously a woodworker because in the description he states

---> ("Stanley #6 Sweet Heart Plane. I love this plane! Breaks my heart to get rid of it. Solid user. Plenty of blade left. Smooth bottom. Rose wood handles and knobs. This is exactly what I look for in a plane!")
The posting ran out of time and with no bids. And I messages him to see if he sold it or still had it and he replied that he does still have it. I haven't messages him back.

The Question is. Do you think that 40$ will offend him and scare him off ?

~Ninja~

OK. Over the winter I've bought a vintage Miller's Falls #10, and a Stanley 4C, which I had mailed to Pennsylvania to save shipping costs, and I'll pick them up when I go to see my brother later this spring. I think I'm through buying planes for now. I have to get all the ones I have tuned up, then sell off a few. I definitely have too many.

That is to bad for me because I have a #4 completely restored for sale in the classifieds for $75

What it'll sell for depends largely on geography. Some areas of the country (like here in NE Ohio) seem to have an abundance of old tools, and I've bought clean usable #3 and #4 planes for as little as five bucks.

When I lived in SoCal, the same plane would probably have sold for around fifty bucks.

I can't speak for your area (never been there), but a good price there might be either way over, or way under, what would be considered good elsewhere.

BTW, looking at Ebay, it seems like all plane prices are down a bit right now. They were somewhat higher a year or so ago.