Some Metalworking

Stuart Ablett

Sometimes you just have to make it yourself.

I'm in need of a VERY stout hinge for a build I'll just call "Project Alpha" for now, and I cannot find what I want, so I'm building it.

This hinge has to be stout, and it has to be a very specific size.

stout_hinge2_zpsa85795b3.jpg

stout_hinge1_zps4536b40b.jpg

Here are all the pieces, I'll have to weld it tomorrow, but it should be strong enough for the job.

The two outside pieces of the hinge barrel will be welded to one plate, and the middle piece of the hinge barrel to the opposite plate, then the pin in the middle will be welded in place so it cannot be removed. The gold colored bits are washers that I drilled out to fit the hinge pin that I made from some hard 6mm drill rod I had laying around.

Should work.

Sometimes you just have to build it yourself.

Not a gate, it is a very unique build, that I cannot revel at the moment, we are applying for a provisional patent.... no seriously, so I have to NOT share other aspects of the build until we get that, but bits and pieces I can share. :D

Looks very robust and will certainly be tamper-proof once you're done. (But who's likely to tamper with it there anyway?:) )

Do you have your welding station all set up in the new room on the ground floor now Stu?