First post

Well, nice to see a local here. Welcome to the family David! :wave:

Which club are you looking at joining? I'm currently a member of the Lee Summit WW Guild (http://lswoodguild.com/). Haven't been to the meetings in a while, but was considering going to next Tuesday's meeting. I've also belonged to the Kansas City Guild, but haven't been there for a few years since we moved to the south side. Both are good clubs though.

Darren, I probably go to northland woodturners since I live in st Joseph, but I think they are looking for anew place to hold their meetings

... Personally, I use a cordless drill with a hex bit to remove and replace the jaws on my chucks, so it's pretty quick and painless anyway.

Why have I never thought of doing this??? Tips like this one are what make the forum so useful.

One suggestion: Use the clutch on the cordless drill to limit the amount of torque you put on the screws that hold the jaws. You want them firm, but not death-grip tight. ;)

Welcome, David. I have the same lathe, it's been my first and only one for seven years or more. I'm more than happy with mine...sure it would be nice to have variable speed, but it takes less than a minute to change speeds. You made a good choice and it should serve you well.
You've been given lots of great advice already on tools and safety and mentoring. The only thing I might throw in is to add to the tools only when you need to. If your pockets are deep and full of money, go ahead and splurge. Otherwise, only buy a new tool when necessary. The advice on finding a mentor will really help. I'm self-taught, learning from videos, magazine articles and forums like right here. An experienced turner will be able to show you the "whys" and "what fors" and speed up the learning process.
Above all...have fun and be safe!!

I'm late so I assume you have begun spinning things up by now.:thumb:
I've had the 1624 for over four years and love it. The only problem I had was "not quite tight" set screws in the pulleys from the factory. Just a minor problem but recheck to make sure the screws to the motor shaft and spindle are really tight.
Others have covered most everything. You will need a faceshield and make sure it has the + rating. Same for safety glasses.
Getting hands-on with another turn will save you lots of frustration.
Stuart Batty has some very good videos on topics not often covered. Such as stance (dancing with the lathe), how far over the tool rest, handle length, etc. He has 30+ short video's here.
http://vimeo.com/woodturning/videos
This is also an excellent video by Mike Peace which covers almost every "holding" method.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXil-5dEeo

Happy turning.

Definitely no deep pockets here. Did pick up a roughing gouge Saturday at wood craft. Have been watching a ton of viedos and have practiced several pieces. A good class at wood craft this weekend but worried with my hearing I might not get a lot out of it. Really need a class on sharpening also.