From out of the blue

Into the blue.........Long day today.
My wife's youngest sister passed this morning{Sunday} sometime in her sleep. 51 yrs young. She had a lot of health problems but a wonderful outlook
on life and was my favorite S.I.L. She had quite the sense of humor and was always ready to dual it out with me in the 'quick jabs' joking routine
we developed over the years.

I debated on posting this, mainly because the thought of sharing depressing news has always bothered me in a weird sort of way. But, she & I always
tried to put a cheery spin on life's sour grapes. We were never too shy about how morbid our humor may have come across to others, and it was never
intended to offend, just our way of dealing with such subjects. We've talked in the past about our own thoughts on death, and one thing she always
mentioned was that no matter when or how she was called home, we would find a pepsi and her newport cigarettes right beside her...and damn if that
wasn't the first thing that caught my wife's & my eye as the initial shock let up.

I realize I'm rambling but my wife finally dozed off in the chair and my dogs already know I'm crazy, so as to not give them anymore ammunition with
my talking to myself, I took to the net for an escape. Anyways I decided to post this not for sympathy or condolences but in hopes it drives home to
others how fast life can change. We{her family} as well as her herself, knew it was only a matter of time due to her health, but more because of her
lifestyle and the unhealthy choices she made. That, along with her stubbornness{another trait her & I shared deeply} at heeding her doctors advise, lead
to the final page in her story.

I'm going to miss the gal dearly, but hopefully she's instilled a little spark in me to make some changes I've known for sometime that I need to make, but
then again, if I credit her with any changes, she'll most likely be laughing at me at the gates someday going on about how she 'got me' one more time....

Tell your loved ones while there's still time, we weren't given enough time this go-round and that sucks more than death itself.
If you made it this far, thank you for allowing me a bit of needed therapy...yeah yeah, I know I need way more than a bit, and if she were here right now she would
vouch for me ;)

OK, at your request, no condolences or sympathy. Instead, I'll offer a virtual toast to your SIL's memory, and hope that the lessons she left behind will leave a lasting impression on you and the other people whose lives she touched. :beer:

I agree with you...things can change in the blink of an eye. We should never pass up a chance to tell a loved one that we love them.

Very sad news Ken. Our thoughts are with your family.
Sometimes reality smacks you right in the face. Makes me think that now is the time to make some lifestyle changes and kick a few unhealthy habits.

Well, reads like your SIL made an impact on your life so I am sure she impacted other also. Sounds like a person I wish I had met. She is at rest now, no more health problems, no more stress. Thank her for the memories, and give thanks for the time you had with her.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

It's great that you have such wonderful memories of your sister-in-law to get you through this time and into the future. May she live forever in your thoughts!

As I read through your comments it became obvious to me that her's was a life that made a difference. What more could one ask other than she be allowed more time to make a greater difference?

Things can change in the blink of an eye. Many of us look at those lifestyle changes we know we should make as too hard to do and to long in the changing, but in the blink of an eye we can decide to make them and begin the journey. The good times will help keep her in your thoughts.

I've seen that point (Every day is anything can happen day) played out a bit too much for my liking lately Ken. I totally get what you are saying.

Celebrate the good memories and appreciate what you had!

Sorry for the loss Ken. Sounds like you were peas in a pod, I'm sure she will be missed.

I attended a visitation just a few weeks back and it was the typical open casket, folks paid respects via a single file line, and they left once they made it through the line, just a very cold feeling. I told my wife I didn't want a visitation like that, folks should be standing around talking and celebrating life. I'd also prefer that there was a keg of beer up by my casket and that should be the only reason folks come up to see me. If there is crying it's because they've been laughing too hard. ;)

Sorry for the loss Ken. Sounds like you were peas in a pod, I'm sure she will be missed.

I attended a visitation just a few weeks back and it was the typical open casket, folks paid respects via a single file line, and they left once they made it through the line, just a very cold feeling. I told my wife I didn't want a visitation like that, folks should be standing around talking and celebrating life. I'd also prefer that there was a keg of beer up by my casket and that should be the only reason folks come up to see me. If there is crying it's because they've been laughing too hard. ;)

That's the way my Sis and Grandma's and Mom's funeral was. We all celebrated there lives cried some at the lose but mainly just celebrated all the good times we had while they were alive

...I didn't want a visitation like that, folks should be standing around talking and celebrating life. I'd also prefer that there was a keg of beer up by my casket and that should be the only reason folks come up to see me. If there is crying it's because they've been laughing too hard. ;)

Hear hear! Only difference is I wouldn't want an open casket (or casket at all, for that matter), but instead a collage of the funniest and most embarrassing photos my friends and families can find.

Another wake up call. We never know when. We have a great family in our church who lost the oldest of 5 daughters just after getting married in a auto accident not their fault 5 years ago. Last Thursday their youngest 17 years old identical twin girls were hit head on by a drunk driver one died at the scene & the other is in Harbor view hospital in Seattle fighting for here life. Their guest girl friend I have heard has been released from the hospital. The man that caused the accident is being held on $70,000 bail. Always spend as much time as you can with your family & make sure they know you love them.

Last edited:

... I told my wife I didn't want a visitation like that, folks should be standing around talking and celebrating life. I'd also prefer that there was a keg of beer up by my casket and that should be the only reason folks come up to see me. If there is crying it's because they've been laughing too hard. ;)

That is a great concept. When my mom passed away the family got together and reminisced,; we laughed so hard that the tears poured like waterfalls. Neither Myrna nor I want a funeral. We have given our remains to a teaching university so that they can serve in teaching MDs. We carry a paper card that informs the police who to call, not to embalm us, procedure, etc. The university rushes and picks up the body and that is the end of the mechanics.

I am sure that the family will get together and reminisce. Hopefully no one will mourn too much.

Enjoy,
JimB