Hide Glue

Rob Keeble

Guess this is the right place for this post.

I would like to know if anyone here is a user of hide glue crystals and if so what do you use for a glue pot. I know of the one available from Tools for Working Wood.

Any other alternatives?

Does anyone know if a baby bottle warmer will do the job ? Its been many many years since I last had to warm baby bottles and my recollection is that its not hot enough but I may be wrong.

I got an eye on one online sales for peanuts so wondering if its going to be worth it. Willing to experiment just don't want to waste my time if its a bust to begin with.

Thanks for all input. P>S I also know of the liquid hide glue and that's not what I want to try out. Thank you anyway if you were thinking this. ;)

Sticker shock for an "official" glue pot led me to seek alternatives. The item I found that works just fine is a Rival Crockette that cost about $9 at WallyWorld. It has only one temperature that just happens to be about where hide glue should be maintained. I put about a pint of water in it, mix my hide glue and water in a one pint, straight-sided wide-mouth Ball jar and place it in the crockette. I add water to the crockette to keep it about halfway up the jar and keep a lid on the jar loosely until ready to use. In cold weather, I have also made a cover for the crockette with a hole the size of the jar, so it holds the heat in. Sometimes, frugal (cheap) works!

Sticker shock for an "official" glue pot led me to seek alternatives. The item I found that works just fine is a Rival Crockette that cost about $9 at WallyWorld. It has only one temperature that just happens to be about where hide glue should be maintained...

I also use a Rival appliance, but mine is a 'hot pot' pitcher that has an adjustable thermostat. At near the lowest setting, it'll keep the glue at a near perfect 140°F. It's all plastic, and I cut a hole in the top so I can just drop a glue jar through the hole, and leave the lid on the pot (less chance of spillage). Mine was also under ten bucks at Wallyworld.

Yup you guys think like I do.

@ $179 http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/MS-GLUEPOT.XX I think this is an enormous deterrent to having people try hide glue.

So here are some of what I came up with besides my bottle warmer on Kijji for $7 :)

The dental industry uses wax so something like this from China for $39 free shipping (can you believe it) http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-Well-...tDomain_0&hash=item3a855f5a96#ht_10000wt_1251

This even has three compartments and temp control

or

Old school cast iron
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAST-IRON-M...ultDomain_0&hash=item43c1894e16#ht_720wt_1014

or

Salon wax boiler from Florida with temp control for $39 but for me shipping kills it. $32
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professiona...ing_Hair_Removal&hash=item35c771f00b#shpCntId
or

Solder pot but temp is wrong so would need modification
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150W-Temper...ltDomain_0&hash=item338659e02a#ht_4972wt_1251

Lots to chose from. I like the idea of the dental one. It provides more than one pot for different glue strengths.

Will take a look at our charity places later in the week and see whats on offer. Before I pull the trigger.

But it sure makes a mockery of the fancy copper pot at $179.

While I am at it here is short article by Lee Valley on Hide Glue for those interested.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/newsletters/Woodworking/4/6/article2.htm

A man in our woodworking club in Florida used a single element hot plate and an old sauce pan to heat the water - added the glue granules and water mix to a pickle jar and put in the the warm water - kept an eye on the temperature with a meat thermometer. He paid $2 for the hot plate at Goodwill, swiped the sauce pan from his kitchen. In other words, you can spend what you want.

Currently, if I were looking for a new crock pot for this application, Amazon has this one. I've had no problem maintaining the temperature of the hide glue at 135° to 140° with the one I described earlier, but this PS has three heat settings.

Edit: I should add that I use a meat thermometer to keep an eye on the water temperature. I use a piece of wire to keep the end of the thermometer in the water not touching the sides of the pot or the glue jar.

Last edited:
...I like the idea of the dental one. It provides more than one pot for different glue strengths...

OK Rob, I know this isn't the first time you've been accused of overthinking something, but I've gotta ask. When was the last time you thought "Man, I sure wish I had three different strengths of Titebond"? :rofl:

Also, you seem to be gravitating toward solutions that are three times the price you need to spend. ;)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14504126?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...nd_cookware_&gclid=CMnN-Ojn0LoCFapDMgodbU8Acg

Does anyone know if a baby bottle warmer will do the job ? Its been many many years since I last had to warm baby bottles and my recollection is that its not hot enough but I may be wrong....

I had looked long and hard for a baby bottle warmer as the hide glue warmer recommended by some expert users (at least to keep it warm enough, whether it is enough to do the initial warming or not). By the time I looked, nobody used real bottles nor warmers, so the warmers were not available even at the thrift stores.

$10 for various other types of pots sounds like the way to go.

Well I got my "Glue Pot" for all of $11.27 including our hst at Wallyworld (walmart) .2013-11-07_20-43-54_341.jpg To show scale I put one of Macks pens in it gives and idea of how wide it is.

Of course when the SWIMBO saw it she thought it was for her :huh::doh: so now she wants me to get another. :rofl:

All I have to do is cut a nice round disc of wood for the top and pop a access hole in it. Will use my bandsaw circle jig and expedite that matter.

By the way if one wants glue brushes for this then Lee Valley has these nice cheap hogs hair bristle brushes for $4.80 for pack of 10 1/2 inch brush.

And while I am at it this is the glue if anyone out there wants to try it out.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=20002&cat=1,110,42965,20002

And here is a video of how to apply and use the glue in doing veneer work by a master in the craft.

Ok and you now need a hammer so why not make one like this ...

So what you waiting for you now can be all set to do hammer veneering (really the wrong terminology actually) for very few dollars.

Just have to resolve the cutting of the veneer. :)

I realize what I have failed to convey in all my nonsense of posting this thread is that my motive for this whole lot is to try out some veneering without having to have vacuum bags etc. This method of using hide glue and a "hammer squeegee" (that's what I like to call it) "looks" in the hands of a pro, like a possible method for small stuff to try out.

... my motive for this whole lot is to try out some veneering without having to have vacuum bags etc. This method of using hide glue and a "hammer squeegee" (that's what I like to call it) "looks" in the hands of a pro, like a possible method for small stuff to try out.

Using hide glue on small parts was my salvation when I built my compass table. My vacuum bagging system was fine for the large top panel. My first attempt at one of the 3" x 3" medallions on the apron at the cardinal points of the compass was a mess by doing it with yellow glue. That was about the time I was introduced to hide glue by a member of our woodworking club in Florida. I gathered the materials and had the veneers for a medallion done in a matter of minutes, not having to worry about the glue damaging the ability to apply finish later. For something like this, a simple plastic putty knife was sufficient as a "veneer hammer".

Medallion.jpg

Re: Hide Glue UPDate

The journey continues. My one pound bag arrived.
From what i have read this stuff will last for a long time as long as its kept in airtight conditions. The bag arrived vacuum sealed.

gesyjaby.jpg

This gave me an idea. The suggestion from LV is to start making a batch of only three table spoons and add water.

So i got the Foodsaver out and made some small bags first testing the idea with sugar to see how it would work.
uploadfromtaptalk1384533514007.jpg

Then made up some bags and made sure to have a small double compartment in the middle to cut one off in future without breaking the seal.
uploadfromtaptalk1384533586766.jpg

Then got stuck in and repacked the glue in its new bags for use in the future.

uploadfromtaptalk1384533636406.jpg

Now i am set to give this glue a try out and not waste the bag full. I intensely dislike waste.

Will see how it works out and provide my thoughts of the experience.

I figured one best do some practice/ experimenting before one really needs to use it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Rob,
My hide glue flakes came in a 1 quart paint can, and I've had some of them for about three years, with the lid tightly sealed. The glue works just as well as new, so I'd say vacuum sealing really isn't necessary. It sure can't hurt, though.

BTW, the Foodsaver works quite well for shellac flakes, too

^^^^^
Similar to what Jim D. said. My hide glue came in a plastic container with a screw on lid. I've had it several years and it's still just fine.

I keep a small hotplate and pan in the shop for warming things up, especially in the winter time. Cheap and easy, but I see you already got a crockpot!

I find that when I need to use epoxy in the winter, it helps to warm it up a bit to get it flowing.