looking for a 3.5 inch diameter router motor 3 hp variable speed

allen levine

Im having difficulty finding a router that is 3.5 diameter motor to fit my lift and is 3 hp or 3 and 1/4 hp.

I don't know if I need that kind of hp to do the work I do on my router table, mostly door work, coping, that kind of stuff.

I think a 2 and 1/4 would suit me, but if anyone knows a chart of diameters, Id appreciate it.

I assume the size restriction is for a lift(?). This will be interesting if someone knows of such a machine. I have never seen a 15amp machine in that small of a form factor but, they are getting things more efficient all the time. I'll cross my fingers for you. In the lower powered units there are a herd of routers that fit the 3.5" lifts.

I saw that list Charles, it only shows up to 2 and 1/4 hp routers in my size range. Im certain they will do what I need to do.

installation looks simple, I think I can do it myself. My Milwaukee 5625 wont fit, its over 4 inches, my festool wont fit, and I don't want to put old dewalt into it.
I wait to see if alan or carol chime in with some brands, if not, Ill have to go down in power.
I have the 5625 in the table now, love it. love it love,it, power and smooth,

I saw that list Charles, it only shows up to 2 and 1/4 hp routers in my size range. Im certain they will do what I need to do...

2¼ hp is still a lot of router, Allen. It'll do pretty much anything you'll likely need. I have a Hitachi M12V - also 2¼ hp - and have used it to spin a 3¼" panel raising bit, in oak and cherry, with no problems at all.

MLCS says this Bosch will fit your lift.

I can vouch for the Bosch 1617EVS being enough to do raised panels. Even with its 2.25hp rating, it handled the job just fine as long as I didn't try to hog off too much material at one time. When I caught the Hitachi M12V (15A, 3.25hp rated) machine at a good price, I got one for my router table. It made life a little easier when doing raised panels, but not so much so that I couldn't have lived with my Bosch.

Bottom line, your choices are limited to 2.25 HP in a 3.5 diameter motor. Or a different lift for your bigger router. I have a PC 7518 in a Jessem lift. Both are tanks for strength. As close to a junior shaper as one can get. So new router or new lift. Or, both. :rolleyes: Your choice. LOL!

the lift is brand new, and motorized, so Im keeping it.
I got your reco in the other thread.

eventually, when I get out of lazy mode, Im going to build a small router table on wheels to house the Milwaukee 5625, just for raised panels.

I spoke with alan b, he also said Ill do fine with the 2.25 hp, just have to make multiple passes, which Ive always done anyway.

Ill look around this weekend and check online to see what kind of prices I can find.