How do I drill parallel holes through a piece of PVC pipe?

Even though it is not wood, it has to do with woodworking so I posted my question here. I hope that's OK.

I want to drill 4 holes through a piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe about 2" long. There will be several of these; all of them will be the same so a jig or stop blocks would be very practical to use. I have tried several things that have not worked well; for example trying to use a "V" block. I just cannot drill so I have the holes exactly opposite each other.

The first two holes are a "drill through the pipe from one side, coming out the other side." The ideal would be for the drill to pass through the center of the pipe on its way to come out the other side.

The next two holes would be parallel to the first two holes further down the pipe.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Enjoy,
JimB

Hi Jim,

May I offer something to help you? Your "V" block idea is right on, but yours may be too short to keep the holes all aligned as you need them. I have to ask if you are using a 2 inch long piece of 1.5 inch diameter pipe? Or is that a typo, and your pipe is actually 2 feet long?

My suggestion would be to make yourself a longer V block. You have a table saw, so you can set your blade to 45 degrees and set your rip fence to place the deepest part of the kerf in the center of a piece of 2"x 4". I have one somewhere but don't have a picture to share with you.

I believe you have an auxiliary table on your drill press, right? Set this up so your new V block will place the drill bit right over the bottom of the V kerf you made in the 2x. Place your piece of pipe in the V block, Make a short piece of wood with a couple holes in it to use as a hold down. Screw this into the V block, somewhere near center. This will hold the pipe so it cannot roll as you re-position it for successive holes. Mark the hole position along the length of yur pipe, and with the V block back against the drill press fence, drill to your heart's content. All the hols "should" come out in a straight line, on both sides of the pipe.

I sure hope I have helped you, and not confused you.

Let me know if it works for you. I worked for me, but I was drilling steel shafts., and didn't have access to a milling machine.

Aloha, Tony

Agreed with Tony, maybe a longer V block. If you put a pin in the block in the center of the V you could put the one hole in that and it would keep it vertically aligned for the second hole. You could also probably use that for spacing layout...

The problem comes from the inaccuracy of moving the pipe. Drilling the first set of holes in one end of the 2 inch piece of pipe is fine. The turning of the pipe to drill the other end causes some degree of error in rotation. Also, moving the entire v-block has issues in that the pipe is not securely fastened to the V so again, movement occurs. Here's the idea I left him with. I assume this was problematic or just too fussy. Whadda ya want? I thought it up over breakfast coffee during my last visit :D

pipe drilling jig.jpg

The two halves would be screwed together just tight enough to make a snug fit for the pipe pieces being slid in and out. The holes in the top block are the drill guides. the pipe piece being flush with one end is the registration. The spacer bars would keep "Capt. Flash" from crushing the pipe accidentally by virtue of his super-human strength.

Last edited:
A "V-Block" fixture that has the following features would do the trick & with your expertise should be easy to make.

1. First of all, consider a "long" fixture, one longer than the PVC pipe.
  2. One end will be used for drilling the (2) holes, the opposite end will "PIN" the PVC pipe vertically & will establish alignment for the second set of holes.
  3. On one end have the pipe rest on the base of the fixture, on top of a "V-Block", against an end block, & held in place with a TOP "V-Block" that has the (2) holes drilled in it (preferably "bushed") located to suit the required hole spacing.
  4. The TOP "V-Block" is "matched" to the BOTTOM "V-Block" to establish a common C/L & and against the same end block to establish the required end distance.
  5. One side of the "V-Block" should bear against the DP fence so that the drill bit is always the same distance from the fence & on the C/L of the pipe.
  6. Drill the (2) holes & then swap ends with the pipe.
  7. Before clamping the pipe in place with the "V-Block", use a dowel pin, or similar & run it through one set of holes already drilled & into the previously drilled hole to PIN the pipe & align it vertically.
  8. Clamp the PVC pipe while the opposite end is PINNED.
  9. Drill the second set of holes.
Finito!

Thanks for the correction Jim. Pictures sure would have helped. I know, I didn't provide any for my idea either, Sorry.

I am trying to figure out, Glenn, why the pipe needs to be moved on the V block at all, until all holes are drilled, in full alignment. Is it because of the bit being too short to go all the way through? In that case, just buy a "pulley drill bit" which would have about twice the length of flutes and shank, and would drill through in one pass, negating the chance of misalignment of the holes. Get one from any supply place such as W.W.Grainger, etc.