Windows 8.1 update

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
So I ran the update, on my wife's laptop :D, and wanted to pass along a couple of annoyances.

1) After the update, they go through a wizard to do some final settings. It prompts you to sign in using your microsoft Live account, which I don't use, I use a local login. There was no way to skip this part, so they prompt you to create a new account. If you continue to do this, there is an option to skip that option at the bottom of the next page. If you've already tied your account to a microsoft account you can "Disconnect" it and use a local account in it's place. See: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4842-local-account-switch-windows-8-a.html2)

2)After the update, my virus scan software (Avast) was missing. There were no pop-ups stating that my system was insecure or missing virus scan software. I had to download the latest version and re-install it.Figured I'd post these if it would help any other members updating their systems. :wave:

Last edited:
I went through that last week. My son talked me into it because he hated 8.0. He had just gotten a new laptop with windows 8. I was doing fine with 8, had it working pretty much like 7, which I really liked. Yep had to load the new Avast also. They always like to change things, mostly cosmetic stuff that doesn't really make anything work better. Seems they just move thing around so you have to learn where they are again. I read a tutorial that told me how to make desk top icon to click on to shut the system down and one for restart. I had it on 8 and I kept it on 8.1 because it is so convenient.

I've not cared much for 8, even with a touchscreen laptop, I just can't get used to the new metro UI. I've installed the Start8 app (had to re-install the latest version of this too), which adds the pre-windows 8 start button menus back in.

Despite the problems noted above with W8.1, there are still many playing catch-up.

Example: I ditched the Norton Security Suite & didn't want McAfee, so I went with Kaspersly PURE 3.0. Guess what? Couldn't install it because of "compatibility issues". It wasn't compatible with W8.1. Contacted Kaspersky & they are working "feverishly" on a patch for W8.1. In the meantime they've recommended I download a free 30 day trial of Kaspersky Internet Security 2014, which I did. Gotta hand it to them though, they have been in frequent touch (emails) to keep me posted & to answer any questions I may have. When the patch is ready (mid-November?) they'll email me with a new version of Kasperky to download that is W8.1 friendly.

I can't stand 8!!!! How on earth do I access the c: drive? There is some software I'd like to install, but need to copy a file manually to the directory. Any and all help would be great!

On my bottom tool bar there is a little icon that looks like a folder. I click it and up pops a screen the shows my folders and drives. Then I click on what I want to access. I didn't put that icon there it was there after I loaded the system.

open IE and type C: for the url, it will act as a windows explorer window.

I can't stand 8!!!! How on earth do I access the c: drive? There is some software I'd like to install, but need to copy a file manually to the directory. Any and all help would be great!

I bought the Start8 app ($4.99), which adds the classic start button back and can set the start-up to go directly to the desktop mode, makes it as much like the original windows (xp, vista, 7) as you can get.