Some Slices of Walnut and Ambrosia Maple

Jeff Bower

I had some hollow walnut logs that I couldn't figure out what to do with so I decided to to slice them up and see what was inside. The grain was pretty before I sanded it so I thought maybe a natural edge table top or something. Both sides of each piece were to pretty to not show both so I sprayed some rattle can laquer on them and made some stands out of torched oak and 5/16" cold rolled steel rod. Did the same for a slice of maple I found along the road this summer. My MIL took a liking to the larger walnut one so she will be happy to open her Christmas gift this year. :) Wish I had better pics of them, but I can't find our camera so the phone pics will have to do for now. :doh:

Attachments

• [UNSET] (5).jpg
    [UNSET] (5).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 40
  • [UNSET] (3).jpg
    [UNSET] (3).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 39
  • [UNSET] (4).jpg
    [UNSET] (4).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 36
  • [UNSET] (1).jpg
    [UNSET] (1).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Very cool! I've been watching these go by on Facebook. :thumb:

From the looks of the photos, though, I don't think the maple is ambrosia maple. Ambrosia maple has dark "tracks" in it caused by the ambrosia beetle. I'm not seeing any of those in the photo. I think you've just got very nicely figured maple with dark heartwood.

Thanks for the kind words all! :thumb:

Vaughn, an old woodworker that I've known for awhile told me he thought it was ambrosia maple after he saw it this past weekend. :dunno: When I got the log and sliced it up, large black ants went everywhere...I had step away because they were crawling up my pants and arms and looked angry!