Probably of No Interest to Anyone But Me

"WE OLDER ONES" seem to like memories. About 25 years ago, after a divorce.I went to a house where a man's son and ex-wife was selling everything of his Dad's. They were putting him in alcohol treatment. I was needing pots, pans and stuff to set up housekeeping. You just went through this big house and picked what you wanted and they chose a price. On back porch was a box 2' by 2' and 18" deep. lots of old photos and stuff from Vietnam war.
I asked about and was told just take it ,that it was going to garbage. Man was Air Calvary Major. I took it and when I went through it a few months later. It had 7 or 8 Medals, Purple Heart and others. Slide pictures of family and slides taken from helicopters during action, with description written on edge of them.

The point to this long winded essay, is I still have all of that box and contents. I never met the man. But I always have felt someone needs to remember Him for his life. I apologize for long Story

Butch, that is great that you kept all of those things. Maybe his son would be ready to see them or even a museum?
"WE OLDER ONES" seem to like memories. About 25 years ago, after a divorce.I went to a house where a man's son and ex-wife was selling everything of his Dad's. They were putting him in alcohol treatment. I was needing pots, pans and stuff to set up housekeeping. You just went through this big house and picked what you wanted and they chose a price. On back porch was a box 2' by 2' and 18" deep. lots of old photos and stuff from Vietnam war.
I asked about and was told just take it ,that it was going to garbage. Man was Air Calvary Major. I took it and when I went through it a few months later. It had 7 or 8 Medals, Purple Heart and others. Slide pictures of family and slides taken from helicopters during action, with description written on edge of them.

The point to this long winded essay, is I still have all of that box and contents. I never met the man. But I always have felt someone needs to remember Him for his life. I apologize for long Story

Butch i see absolutely no reason you should think of apologizing for the story. It takes words to tell a story. I am personally glad u saw fit to keep this veterans awards and memories.
Sad state that the kids did not see value in their fathers service and his countries recognition of this service.
Any chance you can scan the pictures and post them with a photo of the medals for digital prosperity with his name.
I would put a safe bet on the experiences he had being the motivator for the drinking. My Dad had a partner that had seen action in North Africa, was taken POW and took to drinking which afffected their business.
Thanks for sharing the story Butch.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

My dad died way too young as well, and many times I think how happy he would have been if he had the tolos and shop that I have now, I got all of his tools and I use them a lot. Mainly hand tools and an old B&D drill which served him and myself very well. So no need to apologize. Things survive to people but they they have the capacity of bringing back memories.

Update to my previous post from a few weeks ago:

In my recent shop move, I was faced with numerous decisions about which of my inherited tools to keep and which to get rid of. I did keep the majority of them, but there were others that I parted with, either by donating them, passing them along to a friend or neighbor, or throwing them in the dumpster. There were tools I've moved from place to place for over 30 years that I had never used, were no longer functional, and were not even quality tools when they were new. Those were tossed. Other tools (an old electric sander and drill, specifically) that were no longer safe to use due to shorted cords and metal cases were also tossed. Old refrigeration and plumbing tools that were rusted and nearly unrecognizable were left on the curb for the scrap metal collectors. Yes, these tools could have been fixed and cleaned up, but they would have never been used again, and like most people, I don't have unlimited storage space in my shop. I have many, many other tools and mementos from my dad and both grandfathers (as well as a father-in-law I never met) that are actually used, so I didn't feel compelled to keep absolutely everything.