Soup season!!

Jim Burr

This is a Chicken tortilla soup we modified from Weight Watchers. Stacey is a leader and one of the gals came in awhile back and said "I tastes kinda blah" She was right!!

1 onion diced
2 large cloves garlic minced
1 can low sodium corn kernels...no frozen!!
3 small or 1 large red potato, 3/4" cubes
32oz low sodium chicken broth...Swanson "Cooking Stock" style has great reviews
1 can fire roasted tomatoes with chilies...Trader Joes is bomb!!

That's the base, but....what about the chicken!!
Whatever you want, boiled, broiled, smoked, steamed, BBQ'd and CBQ's (CBQ is Canadian Barbeque in honor of Rob!). Shredded, sliced, diced, cubed or whatever you like.
For the other stuff...2-3 shredded up corn tortillas, 1 or your preference sliced jalapenos, 1 avocado , healthy dice, bunch of cilantro...stemmed and rough chopped. 2-3 tortillas sliced thin and fried into chips...or buy a bag.

Toss in a TBS of EVOO in a good sized pot, sauté up the onions until they're opaque, add garlic...should be about 5 minutes.
Add chicken, tomatoes, tortillas, corn, taters and broth. Bring to boil and reduce for simmer until taters are fork tender...15 minutes of there abouts.

Serve it up in a bowl, top with cilantro, avocado, jalapeno and find a bit of cheese for fun.
Enjoy!!

...Serve it up in a bowl, top with cilantro, avocado, jalapeno and find a bit of cheese for fun.
Enjoy!!

Now why would you want to mess up that perfectly good chicken soup with the vile moss that grows on the hinges of the Gates of Hades? :rolleyes: Cilantro is a foodborne illness, I tell ya. I am a proud member of the I Hate Cilantro Club...could you tell? We even have our own Facebook group. :rofl: (The jalapeno's bad enough, but I realize not everyone has easy access to good green chile.) :D

That's cool...I'm a card carryjng member of the ABC club...Anything But Chardonnay. Not a fan of parsley either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I'm crying in the beer that I cannot have. Line one said one of the NO words---Onion. I did not read further.

Everybody Else, Enjoy,
JimB

Jim, I'm not big onion fan myself (I can only eat the if they're cooked within an inch of their life). I've learned that a lot of recipes that call for onions are still pretty tasty without. I'll bet this soup would be one of those. And if you like cilantro, you could use that to add some flavor back into it.

(I think I need to go wash my typing fingers after that last sentence, lol.)

Well I like both onions and cilantro!! :D My daughter likes them both as well...but the wife isn't to keen on cilantro so it isn't used much in our house. :( On a side note, my daughter got me started eating broccoli too. "Daddy if I can try it and like it, you can too!" I hadn't tried it since I was her age...

PS...I haven't seen a tortilla soup with potatoes before...gonna have to try this one out this weekend.

Jim, I'm not big onion fan myself (I can only eat the if they're cooked within an inch of their life). I've learned that a lot of recipes that call for onions are still pretty tasty without. I'll bet this soup would be one of those. And if you like cilantro, you could use that to add some flavor back into it.

(I think I need to go wash my typing fingers after that last sentence, lol.)

I used to be ths same way... to strong most of the time. Green onions are my exception...potato salad, pasta salad, omelettes...mucho yummo!

Raw onions are one of a few foods (fresh cucumbers are another) that can make me physically sick. I do like a well-grilled slice of a sweet onion, like a Vidalia. :thumb:

And here it is done sans chips
5etere3u.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk