OT Metalworking Again - Chopsaw Mod

Stuart Ablett

I really like the new metal chopsaw that I bought, it works well, but the one thing I don't like about this type of chopsaw is that you cannot repeat the same cut over and over, if you have to make a bunch of parts, say all 10cm long, you have to measure and mark each one, then line each mark up with the saw blade, over and over again, it's a pain. If I had the space I'd build the chopsaw into a bench that had a sliding stop, like my woodworking chopsaw, but I don't have the space, sometimes the chopsaw has to be relocated so I can work on something large in my small space. I decided to modify my chopsaw so I would have a moveable stop on the saw that I could use for repeat cuts.

IMG_6613_zps961a48de.jpg

IMG_6614_zps153c27bb.jpg

I welded one piece of square tube onto the underside of the chopsaw, and then slid the smaller piece of square tubing into it.

IMG_6615_zps3b993339.jpg

I made a fixture that raises the level of the stop flush with the chopsaw table and I welded a hinge on that so I could flip the stop out of the way.
IMG_6616_zps05eae370.jpg

Flipped out of the way.

IMG_6617_zps8666058e.jpg

I mark out the first piece I want to cut

IMG_6618_zps42cac706.jpg

Set the saw to cut on the mark.

IMG_6619_zps70290017.jpg

Adjust the stop to the end of the piece.

IMG_6620_zps980512ba.jpg

IMG_6621_zps41da1669.jpg

Flip the stop out of the way and cut the piece.

IMG_6622_zpsa8846e36.jpg

Loosen the chopsaw hold down, flip the stop back up and slide the work piece until it touches the stop, tighten the hold down, flip the stop down, and cut the next piece exactly the same length and much faster too!

I think I'm going to like this!

I'll be doing a fair bit more metal working in the next little while, and I need to build a good welding bench, but that will be another thread.

Cheers!

Nice mod! :thumb: I mounted my chop saw on some 5/8" mdf. It fits my portable miter saw stand (HF model). It's got the slide out supports, but may have to make the flipping stop for it now. Great idea Stu. :wave:

I doubt this could be patented, as there are many other stops on the market, but I would think it could be added to any saw fairly easily.

It sure works slick, I made up some brackets to put steel on for my walls, and I had to cut eight pieces of angle all the same length, then 4 pieces of flat bar at another length, and boy it sped things up!

IMG_6623_zpsb9136bd6.jpg

Good solid wall brackets in just minutes!

BTW, did I mention how useful a simple MIG welder can be? :D