If you could have only one power tool.

Sam,

I've always believed the 'bandsaw as primary tool' advice, but for some reason people just get stuck on the idea of a tablesaw. The more I think about why this is, the more I wonder.
Bill

I think that it is because using a tablesaw is so simple. Push a switch and shove some wood through. Even I can do that. A bandsaw requires some knowledge (which blade, what tension, how to adjust, ect.) and some skill.

I think people often assume that table saws automatically cut straight and square :rofl:

Bill

I had this table on my 14"Band-saw for a number of years & used it to cut 3'-4' logs 8" to almost 12" diameter without any problems. Yes its true you can't just drop the log on the table & most if not all cuts made off the log are at 90 degrees. I haven't needed to tilt the table to cut off a log & wouldn't want to because of the size & weight situation.

My table is 26" wide & 28" deep front to back made to fit around the cast iron table. I plan to make on 24"x24" that will set on top of the table. I don't think it would be to wise to try & handle a very big log with the table tilted. My saw has a 1 1/2 hp motor.

Attachments

• Band-saw 001.jpg
    Band-saw 001.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Band-saw 002.jpg
    Band-saw 002.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 28
Bart,

That's very cool! Mind if I ask a couple things? What did you use to make it? 1 sheet of 3/4 plywood? 2 pieces of 3/4, glued together? How did you attach it? I'm thinking maybe angle iron, drilled for the preexisting bolt hole in the table? Did you add a fence, or just clamp a straight edge on to guide a sled?

My saw's only 1 hp, so if I can figure this out, I'll have to go slowly, but where there's a will, there's a way... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Bill

I found this plan in a book by Nick Engler

The way he & I did it was a little complicated wrapping it around the cast iron table. I flipped he cast iron table up side down on the 3/4" material for the table & drew around it & cut it out & wrapped the outside edge in oak & covered it with laminate. You can see in the pics that there is a strip of wood bolted to the cast iron table Front & back & the table is bolted down to them through counter-sunk holes.

In the one shot there are bolts coming through from the outside edge of the table into threaded inserts from right to left & you'll notice a joint in the oak at the far end & the close end of the pic this is a short piece of material to tie the table together after it is slid onto the cast iron table 2 bolts on each side of the joint also you'll see the hole to get to the cast iron table alignment peg.

It takes quite awhile to build & you'll need to shim between the mounting strips of wood & the bottom of the table top with tape to bring it exactly flush with the cast iron table top. Not an easy project. It was even more fun fitting the miter slot so everything lined up. The slighest shift & it isn't lined up.

If I had to do it all over again I would make one like this with my own modifications.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=10164&TabSelect=Details

Also if you still have you short blade guard keep it. It will allow you to cut through thicker material.

I just made a fence out of 2 pieces of plywood with gussets for reinforcements & to keep it square when I clamp to the table.

Attachments

• Band-saw 003.jpg
    Band-saw 003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Band-saw 004.jpg
    Band-saw 004.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Band-saw 005.jpg
    Band-saw 005.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Band-saw 006.jpg
    Band-saw 006.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Band-saw 007.jpg
    Band-saw 007.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 19
  • Band-saw 009.jpg
    Band-saw 009.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Band-saw 010.jpg
    Band-saw 010.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 19
Doug -- Mastercard is priceless. This could be a good commercial.

"...I'm curious as to how that table you bashed together would perform long term. There's bound to be some expansion/contraction. But will it fall apart, or will the legs just get a bit loose?"

Art. I think it will hold up pretty well. The wood was nice and seasoned so any movement will be minor at that scale. And since they are dovetails with shoulders, a little looseness won't matter too much -- the table will still sit atop the four legs and I know the tails won't shrink enough to pull out laterally.

"I would have given a dollar to see that one Sam."

I'll take it, Don! :D

"...Are you going to be over in the northwest for any shows this year?"

I might go to Portland for the AAW Symposium, Dan, but only as a spectator/attendee.

"BTW, hope you enjoyed that beer!"

It was nice and cold and definitely hit the spot, Bill.

Ultimately, I kinda felt bad for the gentleman. He just didn't seem to get into to the spirit of the challenge/demonstration. But everyone else seemed to have fun watching, and I know I had fun making something, and that is what it is all about. And these types of questions are really just food for thought. When I posed the question or thought about it, it never precluded not having all my hand tools, but rather just the first major power tool aquisition. Heck, a treadle bandsaw might be pretty cool, too, or when my son gets a little older, a bicycle powered bandsaw could work out well. :rofl: I certainly wouldn't want to give up my sliding table saw, or anything else, for that matter, when it really comes down to it, though.

Bart,

Don't want to hijack Sam's thread any worse than I already have, but thanks for taking all those pictures.

I try to take pics of my half finished project later today...

Thanks,

Bill

Interesting thread Sam. :thumb:

I've always thought tablesaw.

Now if I had a bandsaw that had a 36" throat, I could rip plywood with it:D

I like the Mastercard idea:D :thumb: :rofl:

I've always believed the 'bandsaw as primary tool' advice, but for some reason people just get stuck on the idea of a tablesaw. The more I think about why this is, the more I wonder. But I think it has something to do with the size of the bandsaw's table. For example, I have this one: http://grizzly.com/products/G0555

Bill, I have a G0555 - a really great bandsaw for the money. So good that I decided to keep it for "scroll" work when I got my MM24.

Even though I love my G0555, I finally realized that there was a substantial difference between the power, blade tension, type of blade supported, precision, quality of cut, etc. etc., and finally got the "real" bandsaw (the fourth bandsaw I have owned). I bet the saw Sam was using was a close relative to the MM24, not the G0555 ;)

Since I don't have the skill Sam has, I probably wouldn't make the bandsaw my first and only tool. In fact for about 30 years a Radial Arm Saw was my only power tool (not a choice I would recommend to anyone today). And I still have all my fingers.