Blanket Box.. the easy way

Bryan Cowing

I use Norm's NYW plan for the size of the box, but what I do is make it as 4 raised panel doors and join them together. Got the parts cut out a week ago and yesterday ran them by the shaper cutter. I leave my 3/4" bore cabinet set double mounted on the spare 1/2" shaft. And with a Wixey mounted on it, I can record the height settings in case I have to make a replacement piece. Today I will make the raised panels.
IMG_6698.JPG

I glued the panels together this morning. I have to cut the arc on the leg portion, sand, and I'm ready to glue it together at the corners. I used my new 5 wing panel raiser I picked up from Grizzly during summer vacation a year ago. Sure cuts nice and I like the bead in the profile.:thumb:
IMG_6708.JPG

I usually cut the arches in legs before I assemble and glue.
I tape the front legs together, then the back legs, and cut the arcs the same time to get the same cut. Its also easier for me to run them quickly over the spindle sander to smooth out the curve.

Last edited:
On my version , because of the cope and stick , I start the cut at the bottom edge of the panel. What I have done is make 4 doors with the ends left long for the legs. That's what makes construction of this box easy.:D

I saw that in you pics, I was wondering, is bryan going to leave the dados from the cope set on the legs?
I was going to ask, but I figured eventually youd cut off the grooves and put some kind of form on the bottom of the legs.
I made one box like that. I only have one standard kitchen set, but Ive gotten my moneys worth out of it.

when my daughters college roommate got married in buffalo ny this past summer, I was going to make a box pretty similar to yours, using my cope set, and just attaching 4 glued up sides,I ws thinking about one of those drawer making bit sets, a paneled top, and put in cleats and add a plywood bottom covered with cedar.
I was just about ready to start, when my daughter told me she decided to flly up and not drive, so I had no way of getting it up to her, took that project right off my list.

Im starting bandsaw reindeers today, my big project for the winter.

Last edited:
So, with line locate work dwindling, I got 2 hours in the shop yesterday . I'm taking winter layoff today so I can get some shop time in for the next 15 weeks.:thumb:
line locator.jpeg

I leave the legs over length, sand the top edge of the panels flat, then run them all through the table saw to trim the legs to length. Then mark and cut the curve on the legs. Careful doing the jigsawing, only need slight drum sanding to smooth.

IMG_6709.JPGIMG_6710.JPGIMG_6712.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Bryan. When you run the side through the table saw do you use a sled or have you got the width on your saw to use your fence as a guide.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

bryan, did you make the side stiles a little narrow to make the reveal the same from front to back? also i see you used biscuits for alignment.. makes the final assembly easier huh:)

I'm following this with great interest as I have one coming up to build for a client and I really like this style of build:) Thanks for documenting your fine craftsmanship Bryan:)

bryan, did you make the side stiles a little narrow to make the reveal the same from front to back? also i see you used biscuits for alignment.. makes the final assembly easier huh:)
Yes , as in Norm's NYW plan. Fronts are 4" sides are 3 &1/4". I have made them the same way , with the same Freud cabinet door shaper cutters , using the same book, since this 1st oak one back in Dec of 1989. I think this is #6....:huh:.

IMG_6718.JPG