PC overheating

Rob Keeble

I thought i would share this little gem of a piece of software.

I have built a pretty big home server by buying components and putting it together in a rack type case i purchased in a deal on kijji.

Well these cases i purchased were intended for a generation or two ago of pc build when heat generation was not as huge as it is today.

In addition i stuffed as full as i imagine a good squirrels nest is right about now. :rofl:

So i was not that surprised the other day to find the cpu temperature alarm going off.

I have been through quiet a journey to get to where i am now on this temperature issue. As usual for the web there is a load of stuff that does not do as it says it does.

For those that have multicore processors in there new or relatively new computers its worth getting a handle on what the temperature is that the core is running at.
Same goes for the most recent generation of hard drives, the SMART generation of hard drive and the latest muticore cpu's have internal temperature monitoring and simply need software to interrogate it for the user to know what is happening.

So this little gem works well and its not got all sorts of hangers on attached to it.
http://www.cpuid.com/

Select the HW monitoring program and download and run it.

It will show you the temp of your system and the temp of cpu core and hard drives if you have several it will list them all individually.

Its worth noting a few things pertaining to this matter.

Keeping your hard drives relatively cooled will prolong their life.

I had not had any issues until recently when Linda upped the temperature on the furnace and i discovered i have been living on the edge.

To remedy my issues i merely ditched the stock cooler and fan that came with the 4 core cpu i am using and bought a behemoth. Dropped my temps from 70 c degrees down to 48 c. Also provided more airflow for the hard drives in the process so life is good again.

BTW for the techies while i am at it, i found a great app on google that notifies one of server issues if anyone has their own server at home and wants to know how to tie in monitoring your server and having it send you a app alert just pm me.

BTW dust and heat dissipation don't go well either.

...BTW dust and heat dissipation don't go well either.

Yeah, mine's been running a bit hot lately, too. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

PCP305.make1_.dust_pc-580-75.jpg

And no, that's NOT my computer. :rofl:

I have seen computer boxes almost as dirty as the one in the picture that Vaughn had posted above. One box had a foul odor coming from it. When we opened it up, we found a dead mouse inside. It had managed to get inside thru the PCI slot cover opening. The little critter was not smart enough to get out thru the same opening though.

Like Mohammad, I've seen some that were about as bad as the pic I posted. I've even had some of my own that got pretty cruddy. :eek: One of the hairiest ones I've had to work on was used by a heavy smoker, which made it smell even that much worse. (I was a smoker too at the time, and it still grossed me out.)