Torsion Beams - Short

glenn bradley

I had sent a small cherry chest down the road just a while back and while building it I sure wished I had a pair of shorter torsion beams (as shown here). I knew I should have made up a short set when I made the 5 footers so, after work I knocked these out. There's no great science here; rip to width, groove, cut to length, add blocks and assemble.

Torsion beams short (1).jpg . Torsion beams short (2).jpg

I mark the web block locations on one part and then use a framing square to transfer the marks to all the other pieces . . . one of the few times I use a framing square :eek:

Torsion beams short (3).jpg

It really helps if you already have a set as they are pretty close to the flattest things in my shop and you can assemble the new ones on the sides of the old ones. If you are making your first pair, dry fit one and clamp it; then use it as a reference surface to glue-up the other one. Once the glue sets, reverse and repeat :D.

Torsion beams short (4).jpg

By the time I get home from work tomorrow, they'll be ready for use. These are good for any elevation task at the bench or across saw horses. If I'd known they'd be so handy I would have made the short ones before. H\I hope my experience will save someone else the trouble of going back :thumb:.

Last edited: