Quicky and Dirty project.

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Feeling almost like an Allen Levine today. I started and completed a project in under an hour.

I'm going to call this a 'lap desk'. You see, I knew I had some work/work to do today, and I didn't feel like sitting at my normal desk, so thought it might be nice to watch a few episodes of Dr Who and get some work done at the same time.

It's 1/2 apply ply from the borg, 12"x16". Just the right size to hold my laptop pc with room for a small mousepad and mouse on the right.

I used a rounder over router bit on all edges, and sanded all the way up to 100 grit.

See, I still can do projects from time to time!

It's a beauty for sure! :D

FWW-0150.jpg

So Allen (and all)...I have given Brent one more pass this year. However the rule he has agreed to is that, for 2014, we have a list of all unfinished projects from prior years and he can't work on anything new until he gets them done. I'll let him slide by with these simple, one day ones...but I think we need a list and he'll need to figure out how to get them done.

Besides the dining table/bench/chairs...does anyone have a pet peeve project you'd like to see finished (oh I'm in so much trouble) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Outstanding. The innovative use of known materials and methods serves as an inspiration to us all. Hearken to my words oh Family Woodworking brethren, to bask in the shadow of one who stands at the forefront of the current state of what is humanly possible in the world of furniture design is a gift not many are privileged to experience. And to obtain such near-divine perfection within the short span of one lifetime is true greatness. That a mere table should deign to interfere on the thought processes that conspired to deliver this miracle is unthinkable. Banish all thoughts of tables and chairs to the far dark corners. Let kindle and spark, that next of ideas that, as impossible, inconceivable and unimaginable as it may be, might yet overshadow even the wonder, the glory and the magnitude that is . . . The Lap Desk.

:rofl:

Well, not to over design this new master piece. but I think you need some Velcro straps attached to the bottom that will go around you legs and attach. Then it won't be slipping off you lap. Then it can also be used as protection if you ever act as home plate umpire at a neighborhood baseball game.

You really did a great job matching up the grain on the top of it.

Well Brent, one thing you might want to add is a piece of material to the bottom and stuff said material secured all the way round with polystyrene foam. That way the foam takes the shape of the thighs and holds the hold top better in place. LOL

Reason I say this, a few Christmases ago my mother in law came to visit. All excited she brought out a tray she had hauled all the way from SA with her. It took everything in me to be serious. She was very serious about this being the next big thing. I had just seen the same thing the week before she arrived at costco so it was all i could do to not burst out laughing.

It was a tray with very low edges with a polystyrene cushion beneath for putting on your lap. She wanted me to start up a business and produce these things. Best diplomatic statement i could muster at the time was I will look into it. Which i am still going to be doing until i pass away. LOL:rofl: Hope she does not ask to use the sample when she comes again, it went by the way of goodwill in one of our clean outs. :D

I think i have tried to pass this saying on before, where i came from we would have said "Boer maak a plan" translated means Farmer makes a plan. or necessity is the mother of invention.

@Glenn, your creative writing ability is a talent that needs to be put to work sir. Between the built in family sense of humor and that writing i could see you creating a great comic strip if you can draw too? :thumb: Loved your eloquent ramblings on this topic.

Brent, I'm so envious of all you creative guys who can just design something like this on the fly, with no plans or instructions. I am truly in awe. :bow:

Outstanding. The innovative use of known materials and methods serves as an inspiration to us all. Hearken to my words oh Family Woodworking brethren, to bask in the shadow of one who stands at the forefront of the current state of what is humanly possible in the world of furniture design is a gift not many are privileged to experience. And to obtain such near-divine perfection within the short span of one lifetime is true greatness. That a mere table should deign to interfere on the thought processes that conspired to deliver this miracle is unthinkable. Banish all thoughts of tables and chairs to the far dark corners. Let kindle and spark, that next of ideas that, as impossible, inconceivable and unimaginable as it may be, might yet overshadow even the wonder, the glory and the magnitude that is . . . The Lap Desk.

:rofl:

Word.

I'm trying my hardest to find that 3x5 card picture on the fridge that I took a picture of and it was labeled something to the effects of Projects to finish in 2010's...note that it did not say 2010,but 2010's (a whole decade)...the first family visit by Bill,Tom, Larry and Toni would remember it. I know I posted it here...would love to see what is on that list. OK, I am again in so much trouble :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well, it is winter, so the boat is put away till spring, but we will take it out then.

I'm actually planning on getting back to the table this week as I have most of the week off.

I need to spend some time in Sketchup to get the legs designed, and I plan on cutting wood and getting started on it this week.

I had just seen the same thing the week before she arrived at costco so it was all i could do to not burst out laughing.

Didn't catch this till just know. You are making fun of the desk I've had for the last 2 years (yes, Costco). It is the greatest thing and even Brent was a bit jealous of how it was very functional for a couch desk. Mine is getting a bit worn out, so if you want to test a prototype, just send to me :rofl::rofl::rofl: