My collection

Tom Bussey

I am somewhat new here so I am not sure if a lot of people know that I think Keen Kutter K series planes are about the best bang for the buck going. I have bought and sold several including most of the planes I will again have to find. It al started when I got the K2. I just couldn't part with it and so I thought I would show the part of what has become a collection. All of the planes are flat bottomed. The first plane is the K2. All of the engraving was done by Catharine Kennedy, not by me, First up is my K2. I know if one clicks on a pictue it will becone larger but I am not shure how to do it otherwise.

DSC00682.jpgDSC00683.jpgDSC00684.jpg

Next up is my K3. The tote and knob on this one at the present are made out of Babinga. I will be changing them to rosewood some where down the line. I have several totes made before I had an allergic reaction to the Bolivian rosewood and now I am working on getting my son to do my knobs for me.

DSC00679.jpgDSC00680.jpgDSC00681.jpg

And now for the K4. I should mention that there os an owl on each plane so each plane is a look alike. It is hard to get good pictures the light bounces off the work bench and I getsome glare.

DSC00694.jpgDSC00695.jpgDSC00697.jpg

Last edited:
I must hav e hit something wrong and posted my collection without getting the post finished, so here are pictures of the plane next in line for engraving.

DSC00691.jpgDSC00692.jpgDSC00693.jpg

I hope you injoy looking and my collection. Now I have to do some looking.

Tom

Last edited:
Shhh! The "K" series Keen Kutters have been a well kept secret! :D

For those that don't already know, they were made by Stanley as a 'house brand' of the Simpson Hardware Company, and are identical to early (round-sided) Bedrocks. They've become more recognized lately, but for quite a while they could be had for really bargain prices.

The "KK" series is identical to early 'regular' Stanleys, btw.

On a different note, Catherine does wonderful engraving. I met her a few years ago when she was the head woodworker at Hancock Shaker Village. She retired from there a couple years ago, and so far as I know, is engraving pretty much full time. A wonderfully talented lady, for sure!

For those who have never heard of the Keen Kutter K series here is a picture of a K4 and a 605 bedrock round side. The only identifing mark is a single letter K and a number, and if you are lucky, a mark on the plane iron. As you can see the seating is the same and the frogs will interchange. If you are walking through a flea market the first tell tell sign is on the blade. The big hole is at the top of the blade instead of at the bottom like the stanleys. The K series are great planes but the KK series were made by Ohio tool and not worth worth picking up. They rate right up there with the Stanley handyman as far as planes go.

DSC00670.jpg

Tom

Last edited:
If one clicks on the last picture of the number 5 you will see the top of the plane iron and then you will know what they look like. Do not look at the K2 because it has a stanley #2 iron in it.

Tom