A Tough Week!!!

Al Launier

This past week has been really tough for both my wife and me, and it couldn't have come at a worse time with our daughter and her boyfriend visiting us at our home for the first time, and to meet the relatives for Thanksgiving dinner.

Last Friday I unexpectedly developed Diverticulitis and loss about 3/4 quart of blood over a days time, just short of needing a blood transfusion. I visited an Urgent Care facility that treated me initially, but I had to go to the ER, and was admitted overnight for a Colonoscopy & treatment that would be performed the following morning. Fortunately, after 14 discharges over the course of this incident, the hemorrhaging stopped at ~3am. A good thing as the attending GI doctor never showed up for the morning because it was a Saturday & he had planned on enjoying the weekend, at least that is my assessment. All during this time of waiting, no one knew what was going on & couldn't contact the doctor even though they had him scheduled for the morning - frustrating! Needless to say, I was upset! The hospital then wanted me to remain in the hospital over the weekend for the doctor to show up on Monday. Bottom line, I thought that was ridiculous & discharged myself against medical advice. I haven't had a problem since. Saw my PCP on Monday for consultation & to make an appointment for the following week with a "different" GI doctor.

Last night (Friday) JoAnn was making some tea for my daughter's boyfriend. She had removed the teapot from the stove to add water, not realizing that the stove had been on & the teapot was very hot. She popped the top & added water. Unfortunately the cold water flashed to steam when it hit the bottom of the teapot & she got second degree steam burns all over her right hand & part of her left hand. We treated her burns as best we could and brought her to Urgent Care. It was very painful for her & she suffered greatly. Fortunately, they took good care of her, giving her pain medication & administering to her wounds. She has her fingers individually wrapped & has no use of her right hand & minimal use of her left hand.

I sure hope things don't happen in threes this time around. It's been a tough week to say the least.

Dang Al, you guys don't mess around with hangnails and scraped elbows, huh? Glad to see you're both on the mend and I'm hoping the waters smooth out for you from here on.

Al ypu guys need to be a bit more careful.....please.
I've had diverticuli for 20 years. Just stay away from any small seeds and seasonings that are crushed seeds. Like ground pepper , strawberrys exc.

Thanks for the advice Dave. I'm certainly going to heed your advice. I've really been overdoing the seasoning with the ground black pepper for the last year or so. Time to back off!

Thanks for the offer Bob. Fortunately I'm all set. By the way, how is your back? Hope it's getting better.

Yikes! You must have had a great year because Murphy is sure trying to catch up on you before the year runs out. I am sorry this happened at all let alone over the holidays with visitors and all. Heal quick and my best to you and yours.

Geez Al, you all do it right when you do it. Might not seemed to be the best timing, but each of you had a support system this way. Hope healing is going well and "WAY TO GO BOB!", what a great offer.