removing bug stains in maple

Dave Black

I am building a guitar and the body blank I am using has some streaking from something in it( bugs or maple sap taps). I was't too worried early on because they are not on the front face or back face, but are on the end grain. The front of the guitar is going to be a vintage style sunburst and the back and sides I was going to stain solid, probably black. Well it turns out there there is some fairly decent curly figure thats showing up on the sides so I would like to go with a lighter black or maybe even a different color. Is there a way to remove staining from wood? IMG_0643.jpgIMG_0651.jpgIMG_0654.jpg

I used Oxalic acid on a wood floor I was refinishing once that had some fairly heavy pet urine stains. It didn't completely remove the stains, but when we stained the floor they were barely noticeable. I mixed it with hot water do dissolve the crystals.

would I have to apply that to just the stain or do the whole thing so that the colors even? also where would one find this oxalic acid?

I tried the oxalic acid and it didn't seem to do anything. The surrounding wood became slightly lighter but the stain didn't really change. I also noticed that dye doesn't seem to take well where the stain streak is, its almost like the pores of the wood are sealed. There were maple sap taps in this tree as well as a nail or two, could it be that the iron sealed some of the pores when the tree was still alive? Maybe I'll have to find something stronger.

The try the 2 part wood bleach. Use a small brush to apply to the area. If that doesn't work. Cut a patch out with the grain. Out line the patch. Cut away the stain and inlay the patch. I'll use a wax color stick to edge fill the cracks or puddy and then color.