TGIF - 12/6/2013 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I'm leaving early today to pick up our son and his fiance from the airport, he just finished a 10 1/2 month deployment on U.S.S. Nimitz. I'm also on vacation for the next week, so other than some hanging with the kids, I may try to get my surround sound installed and some electrical work done on the living room.

Also have my company holiday party tomorrow, the kids are joining us, so should be a good time.

What's everyone else got going?

Playing the part of a single dad this weekend so lots of kid time! Tonight it's a movie at home and chili dogs, the daughter and I love em but the wife can't stand them...Probably will have them for lunch tomorrow too. :D

Tomorrow morning we go visit my dad at his last holiday craft show. Hopefully he sells out of ornaments again! Super cold all weekend so lots of inside time on Saturday and Sunday except for digging out the snow blower in the the shop/garage. Suppose to get our first measurable snow on Sunday. Figures as whenever the wife leaves town some sort of weather arrives.:doh: Oh, also Kansas bball tomorrow and Packers football on Sunday!

Friday: Picked up plywood this morning and started cutting it down for the platform parts to go on the platform bed I've been building.

Saturday: Build drawers for the platform bed and apply sealer to the platform pieces mentioned above. I'll also do a couple of processes on the flag case I'm making for FIL.

Sunday: Hopefully, a day of rest!!!

Last edited:
Tonight a lot of the guys I ride with are bringing wifes to a night out with the boys. May or may not go to the farm in Va to hunt tomorrow and painting on Sunday. Rainy weekend Va will be dry tomorrow.

There's also the matter of 33+ years of stuff in my office to be dealt with :(

that's simple. metal garbage pail, outside, lighter fluid, match.

nothing at all planned, kind of scary, Im sitting here today, put one coat on end table, nothing else to do, nada, zip, Im in my lounging clothes already at 12:30, and the rain is expected to fall through tomorrow while temps drop.
I might be forced to lay on the sofa and watch TV, should be enough college football to keep me occupied.
I hate retirement.

on a positive note, Im thinking of putting a recumbent exercise bike in the back room for when I watch TV, instead of snacking, I could get a small workout.

Last edited:
Prepping for the inbound snowstorm. Bread & milk, etc. Tractor fueled. Shovels and sand available. 5~8" predicted. Supposed to start within another hour or so. Got all the outside holiday decorations done yesterday.

Other than that, life as usual. Maybe some shop time after the plowing, etc.

Weird weather, for sure - 60° yesterday, 31° today, and not supposed to get above 25° tomorrow. Next week, teens and low 20s all week. Winter's here!

Tonight I'm playing a gig tonight at a local sports bar that used to be a rock bar 30 years ago. Our band was one of the first to play there back in the 1980s, so it's kind of fitting that two of us from the old band are playing there tonight. They are giving live entertainment for Friday Happy Hour a try, and we're the first band to play in that format.

Sneakerz-3-FB%20600.jpg

The rest of the weekend it somewhat up in the air. I have a quick and dirty repair job to do on a friend's broken particle board desk. (Note to self: Don't sit on cheap particle board desks. They break) And if schedules and weather permit, I'd like to go to the other side of the mountain and visit Nate Davey and his lathe.

Oh, and stay warm, peeps! It was a balmy 17º here in the high desert this morning at 9:00.

that's simple. metal garbage pail, outside, lighter fluid, match.

nothing at all planned, kind of scary, Im sitting here today, put one coat on end table, nothing else to do, nada, zip, Im in my lounging clothes already at 12:30, and the rain is expected to fall through tomorrow while temps drop.
I might be forced to lay on the sofa and watch TV, should be enough college football to keep me occupied.
I hate retirement.

on a positive note, Im thinking of putting a recumbent exercise bike in the back room for when I watch TV, instead of snacking, I could get a small workout.

That's a good plan for a lot of it Allen: things that seemed important at the time, but a lot less so now. There is a little bit that has to be properly handled: government secrets you know:D

Send me a picture of that bike and where I can get one!

Laying low. Paper work & house cleaning. Roof guys come Tuesday. Could be interesting. Don't know if they need to peel it open or not yet. Planning for San Diego trip next weekend. Cold here, too, but not on the scale of some of you. Just darned cold for me. Body is not using good language. Lots of four lettered words. I am trying not to talk back, but.....

hoping to get out and 'hang' the insulation panels up in the shop... have to get an oil change on the cheby tomorrow... and some never ending paperwork at the office. On the plus side I hope that things are easing up at work, and I might actually have some free time in the next couple of weeks.

Treating my wife's second degree hand burns. Followup appointment with the plastic surgeon Monday am.

Trying to get an understanding of what my Medicare Advantage Insurance Plan covers. Lots of confusion & inconsistency on the part of the Insurance CS Reps. Different answers to the same question. Hopefully this'll sort out soon so I can make an appointment for a Colonoscopy with a networked provider & a networked facility; not something I'm looking forward to.

Will be trying to make a couple of cross bows that Paul presented in an earlier thread.

Busy weekend ahead.

Tonight is the Christmas tree lighting on the village common followed up with a spaghetti dinner put on by the Church.
Saturday the wife is dragging me to a craft show at the middle school then off to a barbershop concert in the next town over:headbang: I think we are picking up the Christmas tree on the way home. She also wants lights strung on one of the pine trees in the back yard. :(

Sunday is Church, Sunday dinner, then back to Church for the childrens Christmas concert. My grand daughter Abby has been practicing all week long.

Got to find time to post a few pics of the TV cabinet I just finished building.

Finally a break! Finished the last day of lecture today and 2nd of four finals yesterday. Monday and Wednesday are the last finals. Have a B in everything which I am told is rare for the load this semester; 15 out of 100 make it. Finish strong then sleep for a few days. Plenty of Christmas stuff to finish then hitting the shop for a possible craft shop thing that looks fairly sweet. Be nice to make some $$ rather than spend it! 24* here this morning, slept and woke to the sound of wind machines...those oranges better be good!!

The papers were signed today to finalize the sale of my parents house. I never seen one go this fast. There was a contract on the house before the Realtor finished putting the sign in the front yard on November 9th!

Strange how things happen as my brother told me today on the phone that my parents bought the house Dec. 3 1947 with the deed being recorded on Dec. 6th and and here we are 66 years later with it being sold on Dec. 6th.

Not exactly sure how I feel as I'm happy that it did sell quickly but at the same time sad that it's no longer home.

........................Just darned cold for me. Body is not using good language. Lots of four lettered words. I am trying not to talk back, but.....

:huh: snow, cold, shoo, beer, wink ;)

Nothing exciting here... buddy brought me a couple of dead laptops from his sister & niece, so I'll dive into them tomorrow and probably watch some of those college games as well.
Sunday is definitely football, our lions have a slight chance of proving they're on the right track to becoming a pro team :D

This week I have been making 2 kid's rocking chairs to give away for Christmas, from maple I have left over. Even scrounging in the burn box to find enough maple to glue up turning stock for finials.
I almost have one done, parts made for #2
Style is Texas porch rocker, large posts and oversize. Developed my own plan from several sources.

IMG_6776.JPG