Something Stupid and Something Stupid and Dangerous

Bob Gibson

Something Stupid

And I wonder why I don't use biscuits often :doh:

I thought I'd join the mitered corners of the apron on the TV cabinet I'm building. #1 re-do
100_4549.jpg100_4550.jpg

Stupid and Dangerous

Thought I'd just take 1/16" off the door so it would fit perfectly.
I lost concentration just as the cut was complete. It came flying back and knocked off my safety glasses. Someone was watching over me because it was the first time I'd worn them in days:eek:

Re-do #2

100_4552.jpg100_4553.jpg100_4551.jpg

Attachments

• 100_4554.jpg
    100_4554.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
. . . safety glasses. Someone was watching over me because it was the first time I'd worn them in days:eek:

I know you've figured out that this statement is the most disturbing part of your post :thumb:

I am so glad you weren't hurt. That is a textbook picture of tablesaw kickback. Whew! Time for a change of shorts.

Now doesn't that just get the blood pumping?? I know everytime a door has come out of my saw looking like that my blood is moving faster.:thumb:
Now ya say it hit ya in the safety glasses...guess we have to work on your reflexes :thumb:

I feel your pain Bob been there on both occasions.. try making a custom countertop for a client and them forgetting to tell you that the sinks are undermount until you are their to install it..... yup you guessed it.. cut open about 4 biscuit slots on that one.. real fun trying to "make them go away" in front of a live audience, and my boss...... now only on the rarest of occasions will I use biscuits.. and never, ever on a countertop....

Ive also worn many a piece on a kickback... they do get you pumping that's for sure!!!! Glad youre ok!!!!!!

Maybe ww should be catalogued as a risky sport/hobby...
Glad it was just a warning,

The cabinet looks great. look forward to see it finished.

Well Bob, that just goes to show it can happen to even the most experienced of professional wood workers. Glad you were wearing your safety glasses & didn't get hurt! Now you have me thinking about a safety face shield.

Also, in reference to a recent post, I'm going to take that as your first Tip in wood working.

Your signature "Asking a stupid question is better than repairing a stupid mistake" says it all.

Stay safe, stay well.

Thanks Glenn I needed that scolding :)

I almost always wear safety glasses when I'm using the TS and lathe but not usually for my other power tools. I need cheaters and the safety glasses I have with the cheater lens are pretty cheap so they distort my vision a bit.
This time all my glasses were on the other end of the shop (a whole 10' away:rolleyes:) so I figured with such a stupid simple cut what could go wrong.

After the door went flying by my head I needed to kick start my heart. Then I opened up with my usual unending stream of 4 letter words that addressed my stupidity.

This time all my glasses were on the other end of the shop (a whole 10' away:rolleyes:) so I figured with such a stupid simple cut what could go wrong.

You are definitely not alone. I would hate to recount the number of times that taking 3 steps to the bench for a rule, marking knife or even a pencil would have been a much better idea than what I did. :)

Last edited: