Shaving cabinet for a friend of mine.

John Pollman

Hi folks!

I have a friend that can't stand electric razors, or even disposables. He's made the switch to straight razors and twin blade safety razors. He's got a TON of them! They have a fairly small bathroom with a pretty small linen closet. His wife is getting tired of his shaving stuff taking up so much space. So he asked me if I could build him a cabinet to hold all of his razors, soaps, brushes, mugs, aftershave, etc.

He had a bunch of nice rough sawn Mahogany that he gave me to use. I spent a good bit of time milling it the other day and got busy putting it together yesterday. I love my Kreg Jig!
I just have to build the razor racks to go inside and design a little bit of a rail to put on the top to keep his mugs from falling off. I finished up the doors a couple hours ago and sent him a pic. He really liked them, but said that he had just thought about using clear glass panels. Actually I think that's a pretty good idea, but I'm going to use plexi. So now I've just got to remove the wood panels and cut some clear plexi panels that will be installed once the finish has been applied. It's 30"w x 36"h x 6"d. Here's what it looks like to this point.

cabinet 1.jpg

It's finished!

Well I just have to cut the clear panels for the doors. But I needed a break. Ryan is going to put the finish on himself. But it came out better than I thought it would. I'm pretty proud of this one! I can't wait to see it on the wall and stocked. I'll post some pics when that happens. What do you think?

cabinet2.jpgcabinet3.jpgcabinet4.jpgcabinet5.jpg

I can only repeat my earlier comments. The visual weight and proportions make that piece a pleasure to look at. It will be appreciated every morning due to its design as well as its purpose. With see through doors I often fancy up the internal back pieces with beads or lapped panels. But, you can't go by me; I sometimes even do that when they don't show :rofl:.

P.s. Whatever you do, don't let him paints it :eek:.

LOL Glenn!

I know, I'm SO bummed. I used a piece of 1/4" luan for the back panel. It's good and clean and works well. But because the doors were going to be wood panels, it didn't really matter. I had some nice 1/4" luan that had a tone very close to the rest of the Mahogany on the project. That's what I used for the door panels. After I had the panels cut and installed, he asked it if would be possible to do glass panels. It sounded like a good idea to me, so I said sure.

He's going to stain and finish it. He works with a guy that has been doing finishing for years and he said not to worry about it. He said that he can get the tone pretty close. I just have to cut some retainers for the clear panels and it's ready for delivery. I'm taking it over to him this afternoon. I think he's gonna love it!

Just delivered it!

My buddy works part time in a refinishing shop, so he's going to take it to work tomorrow and get started with the finish. But he wanted to see how much stuff would fit in it. It still needs the clear panels installed, but he'll do that after the finish is done. I really like it, but I can't wait to see it completely done and hung!

cabinet6.jpgcabinet7.jpg

Simply beautiful. However, your friend is going to cut himself up for sure as he won't be able to take his eyes of "his" new masterpiece. Oops, band aid please! ;)

That's an awesome cabinet, and I love your friends collection.

I've recently reverted to using a double edged razor, brush and mug for shaving, so I can appreciate this. I haven't quite been able to talk myself into going the straight razor route, but it's tempting after looking at that!