I Wish It Was My Symphony.

Bill Satko

I am grateful that the internet exists. For despite the sometimes overwhelming tide of misinformation, it has allowed me to establish relationships with people that would not have been possible without it. Most of those people reside in this forum. The other boon it has brought me, is the opportunity to experience a circle of ideas and people that reside outside my immediate environment.

A few weeks ago, I learned about the death of a man that I had not known, Bill Coperthwaite. Reading Peter Follansbee's tribute left me wishing I had the opportunity to know him. Then today I read Doug Stowe's own story of Bill. In Doug Stowe's blog he repeats the following quotation from William Henry Channing that was in Bill's handmade calenders that he produced each year for his Yurt Foundation. Doug repeated it in his blog as a tribute to Bill's own life.

“To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion, to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich; to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly, to listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart, to bear all cheerfully, to all bravely await occasions, hurry never. In a word, to let the spiritual unbidden and unconscious grow up through the common. This is to be my symphony.”
William Henry Channing