A sharing idea - Hunk of Wood Contest

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I find myself wrapping a hunk of wood to take to a Christmas party tomorrow. I got to thinking. I expect that recipients will be asked to share what project they see in that hunk of wood. That, of course, migrated to, so, go make it and then show us all. This has the makings of another contest. Though this is the season of sharing, on FWW, every season is season of sharing.

So after the first of the year, let's draw a name, send that person a hunk of wood, give a block of time to be creative and productive, and then share here what we made with that hunk of wood. Razzing for uncompleted projects highly encouraged.

If you think this is good idea, opt in and help make up the rest of the logistical 'rules.' Vaughn [ambush coming] can help with the randomness of the drawing. Thanks, Vaughn. :thumb: No, he didn't get a heads up. Don't you just love spontaneity?

Couple of things to decide. How long for peeps to opt in. When the drawing is done. How long for the creative and productive part. Accountability. Pic of the hunk of wood. Pic of finished project. List of who did what to whom. Share your suggestions if you like this idea. The hunk of wood does not need to be a stand alone project. It can also be an accent or be accented. No limit of the size of the hunk of wood except your willingness to either deliver the piece or foot the shipping charge. Builder gets to determine the final destination of the piece. Donator does not necessarily get it back, or maybe... :) No limits on the type of skills brought out. Could be a flat piece, a turning, a carving, 'art' [hehehe], functional, foolish, whatever.

Anybody in?

...Vaughn [ambush coming] can help with the randomness of the drawing. Thanks, Vaughn. :thumb: No, he didn't get a heads up. Don't you just love spontaneity?...

There I was...just sitting there minding my own business, then...WHAM! Carol shows up. :rofl:

Sure, I'm happy to help. Can't participate, but I'll adjudicate. ;)

Can't participate, but I'll adjudicate. ;)

You do and you'll clean it up!

Unfortunately I would only be able to participate by re-sawing the chunk into more appropriate (for me) flat pieces and then doing something with them. Also, I may have to glue-up a blank to get something of turn-able size for someone else. If there's no holds barred. I'm in!

Last edited:
WEll-- Carol said "y. Pic of the hunk of wood. Pic of finished project. List of who did what to whom. Share your suggestions "
guess I am out since I can't post pictures any longer.:huh:

Chuck, if we can't get your browser fixed and the pic posting thing working for you between now and then, any of us Admins can post your pics for you. So don't let that stop you from joining in. ;)

OK. More logistics.

Official name: Hunk of Wood Project.

Opt in by the Jan. 10. Time to get past the holidays.

Name drawn by Jan. 20. Vaughn is good, but good takes time.

Hunk of wood shipped by Feb. 10. Super Bowl is over. You have time now.

Project completed by Easter. April 20. Even after taxes are due. That should be enough time for all you procrastinators. But before the other time-sucking activities kick in.

With regard to the wood: no size or species limitations, save for toxic wood. Could even be, gasp, borg plywood! :eek: Could be small, like a toothpick, or large, like an entire tree. Even normal stuff, like Michigan chocolate. Well, maybe that is not a good example of 'regular.', being the special stuff THAT is. Not limited by the number of pieces, though an entire box of toothpicks or a whole forest might bring loud guffaws of derision. Whatever you are willing to pay to ship, or deliver, depending on the proximity of whose name you've drawn. Of course, this is is also a prefect time to meet a family member face to face. Shipper foots the bill. Shipper to post picture, buy Feb. 10, with help of moderators as necessary.

No restraints on the type of woodworking. Whatever rocks your boat. Flat, spinny, carving, scroll, chainsaw, pocket knife, teeth, doesn't matter.

No restraints on the completed project. This is an opportunity for creativity, experimentation, augmentation.

The project: No limitations. The hunk of wood could make up the entire project, It could augment or decorate the project. It could be augmented by other materials, even, another gasp, :eek: non wood.

Pictures of the completed project by April 20 posted for our viewing pleasure. Again the mods will step in with assistance as needed. They always do.

Who gets the project? The builder has total control of final destination. So no worries of an unintentional Picasso being mistaken for refrigeration art. Again this is another opportunity for a family visit. Not required. Just another opportunity for insane and unending fun.

So what is the point. To have fun, to show off, to incite, to challenge and be challenged. To entertain, to learn, to be entertained, and to be taught. We are majorly astonishing wonderful group of people. Let's celebrate that.

Excuses for not participating. Really, folks, there are none. I don't have a working shop, so I get to be more innovative. See, Vaughn, gotcha again. I don't have a working shop, but I have friends. :thumb: Nate, are you still Vaughn's friend? :D Don't think people like your work. Doesn't matter, it ain't for them!

I have a few hunks of wood I would love to see what someone else could do with them. Don't be shy. Come out to play. And if I get Dimitri's name or Toni's name, or Stu's name, or whoever is lurking out there, I will learn about shipping internationally. How about you? Hope some of our international woodworking buds jump in as well. Think of the bragging rights! :headbang: :bliss: :whistling: :woohoo:

New thread coming of those who are opting in.

Last edited:
Looks good, Carol. :thumb: And you're right...I hadn't thought about snagging time in Nate's shop. Heck, by April 20 I will most likely have visited my own shop for a bit. Might have to brainstorm a bit on what wood to pitch in...hate to buy any when I have tons of it in LA. Here again though, chances are decent I'll be there in the fairly near future.

OK, let's see if I've got this. Remember, I'm English, and a bit thick nowadays.

1. We opt in.
2. We get sent a name to send a chunk of wood to, and receive our own piece of wood from whoever got our names.
3. We make something out of the hunk of wood.
4. After April 20 we send the result to a random participant.
5. Carol manages through selecting from the pictures of the hunk of wood and result sent to her.
6. The guys in white coats come and take me away.

Let me get this straight. I ship a hunk of wood to someone and they make something out of it and ship it to someone else ??

Not questioning it just need clarification.

This sounds like a blast. Can't wait :thumb:

OK. Roger has a list. It needs some clarification. 1, 2, and 3, are good.

Number 4 needs edited to BY, not after, April 20 participants post pictures of the completed project. There is no expectation, no, none, zippo expectation to send the project on, unless that is your desire. You get to keep your work if you choose to. You own it. You made it. It is yours. Do with it as you choose. After all, your significant other may claim it and then you could have a problem. The point is to simply made something, have fun doing it, and with sharing pictures, show how you met the challenge.

Number 5. This is the best part. Carol does not manage beans! Carol stirs the pot, cheerleads efforts, makes totally inappropriate but necessarily humorous comments to make those who choose not to participate feel bad that they didn't opt in.

So what's the point here? We are a family and family members often act quirky, especially with one another. The point is to have fun. The point is to accept a challenge. Usually when we make something, we know what it is and then we choose the wood. This Hunk of Wood Project is backwards. We get a hunk of wood and then figure out what to do with it. And we share the process by way of pictures on this forum.

If more clarification is needed, let me know. I'll figure something out. :rofl:

I will have to opt out of this Hunk of Wood Contest. I don't know what is going to happen with my hand yet and did not put in a stove in my shop figuring no winter projects were going to happen. Would not be fair to get a nice hunk of wood and do nothing with it. Look forward to seeing what appears out of the hunks of wood sent throughout.