Who wears face shields

I've got 3 face shields - one from HF, a Uvex Bionic, and a mesh face shield. I wear the Uvex when I'm turning anything that throws chips or small chunks. I wear the HF for grinding and if I'm using chemicals that may splash. I wear the mesh whenever I start the chain saw to cut anything.

Some thoughts on face shields:
1. They are NOT a replacement for safety glasses, they are an addition to protect the face. Although it doesn't apply to a home shop, this is an OSHA requirement based on the ANSI standard. I have prescription safety glasses that I leave in my shop. I leave the ones I don't want glue on in the house so when I get to the shop I have to put on the safety glasses.
2. They are NOT helmets. They are designed to protect from flying chips not 5lb chunks of wood coming off the lathe. Because of their design they may absorb some of the forces like a crumple zone in your car bumper, but there is no guarantee they will protect your head and they are not advertised as head protection.
3. All face shields will fog up. If you wear a respirator or dust mask it may reduce the amount of fogging by diffusing you exhalation.
4. All face shields get hot. Buy an absorbent skull cap and wear under it. Will keep sweat out of your eyes.
5. Buy a carton of lense cleaning pads. HF sells them for $3 or less. Clean your face shield before you start, takes about 30 sec. Clean it again if you need to.

Work smart.
Steve