Snowy Christmas time.

Tom Baugues

For those of you that have to suffer through the winter months in the warmer climates. Here is a photo to help cool you off. All this fell overnight here.

Attachments

• snowy photo (Small).JPG
    snowy photo (Small).JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 53
You mean that stuff just drops wherever it wants!?! Around here we restrict ours to the high ground so we can visit and then leave when we're done. Although it is expensive, crowded, and breaks 100* regularly during summer . . . . where I live, "All this fell overnight here."

Xmas-SoCal-2013.jpg

Well, Don I had the pleasure of visiting Phoenix this summer when it was 100 degrees. I did enjoy the warm for sure.
Now Glenn, I also visited Los Angeles this summer and I would not trade you places for any amount. The traffic there was insane and I was so very happy to get back home. We came to LA for one thing....to drive the 101 coastline. We dreamed about it for years......The day we did it the fog was so heavy we could barely see the coastline from the road. Oh well....maybe another time.

Attachments

• IMG_7493 (Small).jpg
    IMG_7493 (Small).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7497 (Small).jpg
    IMG_7497 (Small).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 19
Been to LA 3 times and that was 5 times to many for this ole country boy...............its just to much humanity...........:bonkers::chair:

Wimp. :rolleyes: :rofl:

I really like LA. It's the 8 million people that go along with it that I don't like. But not all of it is completely jam-packed. The part I used to live in is enough on the edge of town that the crowds and traffic are not nearly as bad as the more central areas of LA.

Thought this was a snow thread, where we "Northerners" can cry & complain about the white stuff that Mother Nature mercilessly dumped on us, without the "Desert Rats" gloating about their temps & looking for shade. :saythat: :rofl:
Back on topic, we received the 8"-10" that was forecast. Temps are below 20°F with winds forecast to be ~20 mph. Haven't gone out to clear the snow, waiting to finish my coffee & get steeled up for a 2 hr. dig-out effort. Getting too old for this. :(
Looks like a white Christmas for sure as the temps will remain in the 20's-low 30's.

We only got about 5~6", and it stopped around 7:00 pm. I plowed the driveway out at about 10:00 last night. Got warmer for a bit, rained lightly, then froze overnight (23° right now). Sidewalks and deck are like skating rinks this morning. Sanded heavily to minimize slip hazard.

Might get some shop time this afternoon.

It's a winter day here, expecting up to 40 cm and wind NE gusting to 70k, so we drove 20km to church on the new studded tires :) I like winter driving, especially when all the nervous nellies stay home:D
I put the tire chains on the tractor last night, so we'll make some noise and black smoke later :thumb:
Safe travels everyone.

Last edited:
I'd enjoy a little of the white stuff. It's more fun now that I'm retired and don't have to get out in it unless I want to. We seldom get very much and if we do it usually only sticks around for a couple weeks at the most.

it was horrible here for most of the day yesterday, but we went out to dinner locally and I was surprised, the place was so packed people were waiting to be seated. The roads were empty.
around midnight or so, it changed to rain as temps went up, and this morning I woke up to nothing but wet sidewalks, all the snow was gone.
hit 41 today, not complaining at all.(I did get gasoline for the snow blower yesterday)

I always thought chains (remember them?) would have done more damage to the road than studs ever could, but chains were in use for decades, and studs for about three years before they were banned.
LOL...Chains did more damage to my car than they ever did to the road!! I still have two sets in the attic waiting for just the right emergency....and snow of course.

I always thought chains (remember them?) would have done more damage to the road than studs ever could, but chains were in use for decades, and studs for about three years before they were banned.

I think one of the issues with studs is they are on the vehicle for a whole season, and run on bare roads. Chains, on the other hand, are only on the vehicle when there's snow and ice, and their contact with bare roads is minimal. Chains are still used a lot in some parts of the country. It's not uncommon to hear of mountain passes or roads (even in SoCal) where chains or 4WD are required a few times a year as the result of winter storms.