Thoughts on this box joint jig

I made this one several years ago and it has worked very well for me and is less complicated, very adjustable and easy to set up and use. Cost me about $15 to make buying the plans and hardware. I had one similar to the one in your video and it required me figure out the number of turns I needed get the size I wanted for a box joint and keep track of the number of turns each time I went to the next cut. I never did quit figure it out so I discarded it and went to the one I have now. Here is a video on how it works, the plans are still available from Shop Notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmrGa_LDxoE

http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/box-joint-jig/

If I remember correctly the plans tell where to buy the hardware or you can use whatever you dream up. I just found it easier to order the hardware.

I almost bought the Incra Box Joint Jig when it came out, but decided the one I have does a great job, why spend the money on the Incra one.

Thanks for the video, Paul. I recently bought the Incra iBox when I caught it on a price reduction. I've gone through the setup but haven't run any joints yet - busy with 'real' projects. It appears that an Incra miter was used on the jig in the video and that Incra adapted features of the jig on the iBox.

I have an I-Box and still grab a sacrificial fence that I clamp to my tablesaw sled for doing box joints. This is the process where you cut a slot in the sac-fence, stick a "key" made from a piece of stock into the key and shift the sac-fence over by the width of the key. The I-Box is cool but, a sac fence that has ended up pre-notched for sizes you use repeatedly is faster :dunno:.

box joint sac fence 001.jpgbox joint sac fence 002.jpgXmas2010-boxJointJig 001.jpgXmas2010-boxJointJig 002.jpgXmas2010-boxJointJig 003.jpgXmas2010-boxJointJig 004.jpgXmas2010-boxDry-Fit-1.jpg

... The I-Box is cool but, a sac fence that has ended up pre-notched for sizes you use repeatedly is faster.

I don't own stock in Incra, but won't I be able to slide its sacrificial fence to the left and right as I cut different notch widths, so I don't end up having to replace it as often?

Thanks for the video Paul. I like the design. But, what am I missing? The first video emphasized the tightness of the joints. Yet it seems as though some clearance would be needed for gluing. N'est-ce pas?

I made the same ne over the weekend, Paul. Still haven't really put it through its paces yet. Looking forward to making good box joints . Finally.

I made this one several years ago and it has worked very well for me and is less complicated, very adjustable and easy to set up and use. Cost me about $15 to make buying the plans and hardware. I had one similar to the one in your video and it required me figure out the number of turns I needed get the size I wanted for a box joint and keep track of the number of turns each time I went to the next cut. I never did quit figure it out so I discarded it and went to the one I have now. Here is a video on how it works, the plans are still available from Shop Notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmrGa_LDxoE

http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/box-joint-jig/

If I remember correctly the plans tell where to buy the hardware or you can use whatever you dream up. I just found it easier to order the hardware.

I almost bought the Incra Box Joint Jig when it came out, but decided the one I have does a great job, why spend the money on the Incra one.

I think you will like it. I don't use mine often, but it has always worked well for me. When I made mine I made several of the backer so I would have new ones to use when needed. I still have some in my stash.

I built a version of that jig about 15~20 years ago, and it still lives on a shelf in my shop. It's probably the best jig I've had for doing box joints (of various sizes) - until I got my Ibox.

My earlier version doesn't hold the stock to the jig. I need "F" clamps for that. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same. Oh, and mine doesn't have the clicking rev counter, either. I have to rely on my memory.

One comment: This jig works best with fingers mad in 1/16" increments. Any other measurement, and you're estimating fractions of turns between cuts. That also means that you dado blade(s) need to be pretty much exact in their dimensions.

I liked this jig - but I like my Ibox a whole lot better!