Planer Question

Michael Tulak

I have a delta thickness planer (model 22-560) and have been having a considerable amount of trouble lately with pieces stopping part of the way through and usually more than once. It is really annoying because it leaves small indents wherever the knives were sitting still spinning for a while. It doesn't seem to matter whether I am removing a small or large amount of material. Maybe there is something wrong with the feed rollers??? Has anyone else had this problem???
Another interesting thing is I don't seem to be getting any planer snipe:thumb:

Had that problem just the other day, planing some purple heart. Haven't had time to look at it yet. Last time it did that I cleaned rollers as best I could, waxed the table top and it started working again. I hope I am as lucky this time. Seems like I read somewhere that you can take the rollers our and clean them in warm soapy water. I have not tried that because I do not know how hard they are to remove.

I've wiped the rollers in my planer down with denatured alcohol to make them more "grippy". Be careful that you don't cut yourself on the blades, though.

Ok so I cleaned and waxed the table, hmm denatured alcohol, not sure where to get that. Would methyl hydrate or regular rubbing alcohol work???

Last edited:
Oops, didn't realize you were in Canadia. :D Yes, methyl hydrate should work the same as denatured alcohol (often called DNA here). :thumb:

I've also seen similar issues when the blade on my planer got dull.

Well, three coats of Minwax Paste Finishing Wax (I love that stuff:thumb:) later and cleaning and rubbing down with methyl hydrate on the rollers and it works perfectly again! Now to go finish that project before christmas eve:(

I am glad to hear it is working for you. If the same problems pops up in the near future it could be that a roll pin in your drive train got sheared and it is slipping catching and then slipping again. I happened to m once a long time ago. I have never had a lunch box planner, so I wouldn't have thought of the fix that the others have told you. I hope they solved the problem for you, But if not at least now you know where to look.

Had that problem just the other day, planing some purple heart. Haven't had time to look at it yet. Last time it did that I cleaned rollers as best I could, waxed the table top and it started working again. I hope I am as lucky this time. Seems like I read somewhere that you can take the rollers our and clean them in warm soapy water. I have not tried that because I do not know how hard they are to remove.

My problem with that sort of thing is, how hard are they to put back? :huh:

I am glad to hear it is working for you. If the same problems pops up in the near future it could be that a roll pin in your drive train got sheared and it is slipping catching and then slipping again. I happened to m once a long time ago. I have never had a lunch box planner, so I wouldn't have thought of the fix that the others have told you. I hope they solved the problem for you, But if not at least now you know where to look.

Thanks. It did seem for awhile like something like that was happening but it is kinda hard to check easily:huh:

If you have the insturction manual you prabably have a blow up with a parts list and you coud hopefully look at that and see how the drivetrain is assemled. That would give you an idea. I would suspect the in feed roller to be tmore of the problem than the outfeed roller. You can go to the delta web page also for information. Also a lot of manuals will havea section on trouble shooting but that probably wouldn't be covered.

Tom