Legacy Mill

Allen Bookout

Has anyone used one of these: http://legacywoodworking.com/productList.cfm?type=1 Jay and I walked over a took a quick look at the Tampa WW Show but now after watching the DVD I wish that I had stayed longer. I did a quick search and the only thing that I found was that Dave Richards had one for sale in November. About the only thing that I could find with a Google search was a good review by benchmark: http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/LegacyMill/toolslegacymill.html He seems to think that it is overpriced for what it is but there seems to be no alternative. Bruce Page could probably make one for a couple of hundred bucks but not me, that is for sure.

If I ever did decide to get one the 900 would probably be as large as I could go with the space that I have. The only thing bad about the 900 as near as I could tell, other than the cost, is that it only turns one way which would be limiting. I expect that the bits would cost a great deal also but could not find anything about the bits looking at their website. Will have to look closer.

I don't know why I got so interested but I did.

Allen

Allen, I did have one. I wouldn't buy one again. The machine has some interesting capability but I found it was extremely tedious to set up. I could never keep the Y-axis travel perpendicular to the X-axis. Turning with it was disappointing because surface finish was never very good even with new, sharp cutters. Using the same cutters and router on the WoodRat yielded entirely satisfactory results so I know it wasn't the cutters. Probably my biggest complaint was lack of customer service after the sale. There were several times I had questions or problems with the machine and called them for assistance. They treated me as if I was bothering them. One time I called about a problem with the machine and they said to me, and I quote, "If you're a woodworker, you should be able to figure that out on your own." It was then I decided that they were happy to pry the money out of my fist but after that they didn't have any interest in doing customer service.

Some folks seem to have better luck with their mills. I guess that's a good thing. My suggestion is if you decide to buy one, don't expect anything from them but the hardware.

Thanks for all of the information Dave! That reminds me of one thing that benchmark20 said. He said that they only answered one of his three emails so I guess that you are not the only one that feels that way.

Thanks Bruce! I am going to keep doing some research before I decide what I am going to do.

Stuart, While the CarveWright looks like an impressive tool it is not what I am looking for. I am mainly interested in making parts for furniture. Not a whole lot of decorative work on flat stock involved. One thing that is interesting; I just checked the CarveWright website to see what is going on and they are out of stock. I wonder what that means? A huge amount of sales, trouble, or what?

My suggestion is if you decide to buy one, don't expect anything from them but the hardware.

I sent Legacy an email about thirty hours ago asking a simple question and have not had a response so far. It seems to me that good customer service goes a long way toward increased sales. Maybe they took an extra long holiday weekend----or maybe not, we will see.

Well, I spoke up to soon. Just after I posted about not getting an answer to my email I see that Tracy from Legacy sent me a concise and very polite answer to my question. They said that they would be happy to answer any more questions that I might have. Contact them at any time.

I seem to always jump the gun. Some day I will learn----maybe. Sorry about the premature judgment.

Allen. I've also seen them at the woodshows, but never really investigated them.

The carveWright Stu speaks of, I've heard some bad reports from owners over at Woodnet. Motor problems, software problems. :dunno: