thinking of old friends this time of year, made me think of this old prank

Back in the eighties I had an auto salvage on a major divided four lane highway, named Louisiana 1 for a reason. Years later I-49 took most of the traffic and England Air Force Base closed but being on a little four mile stretch between the air base and the largest city in central Louisiana I got a lot of business . . . and a lot of salesmen wasting my time!

A good friend was retired but had a largely inactive salvage yard hidden on a hill in the piney woods behind his house on a two lane twelve or fifteen miles away. Walter did almost no business and got few visitors. I decided that he needed more visitors! Salespeople came by to sell me anything from pens and coffee cups to oil drilling rigs and gold mines, literally. When they showed up I'd get a thoughtful look on my face. "I don't need (whatever) but Walter was telling me just the other day he was looking for that." I sent a dozen or so salesmen a week to Walter. Visiting him a few times a week he would tell me, "never saw so many salesmen on the road in my whole life, can't see how they can all make a living!" It was a great way to get rid of pushy sales people wasting my time and a fine prank to play on Walter that kept him a little more active and engaged with people. Never gave a thought that it might be a little rough on salesmen.

This went on for six months or so. One day a salesman came in my place. "No I don't need one but Walter up in Tioga was telling me just the other day he was hunting one."

"#^*&(^)&(*^(^!!!!, he was the one that sent me to you!"

I went inside laughing and told my wife game over, Walter had figured it out.

RIP my old friend and beer drinking buddy.

Hu

Those are some of the best times!! I love pulling jokes on people. My wife is convinced I'm still 12 years old with a touch of gray...I'm just not sure life is that serious.

LOL that was pretty good! :thumb:
Would of never effected us positive salesmen ;) One time{at band camp,lol}, I went door to door for 8 yrs after I got out of the Army...had one particularly nasty cussing fellow who gave me an earful before slamming the door.....I simply went around to his side door and knocked again... He answered with the most dumbfounded confused look I've ever witnessed...I looked him square in the eye and said..."Hi, hope your not as mean as that sob out front is"....No he didn't buy from me, but our laughter kept me going for quite some time. :rofl:

well huhs was funny but i flat roared on your s ken:)

well this isnt a salesman story but ist a funny one just the same.. i had ice fishing excursion where when we returned to drop off a buddy to get his truck we were greeted by the local officials, actually we had county and city officials.. they seemed to think i had been involved in a hit and run accident and both of us had our anti freeze levels well above the needed levels:) well after about 1.5 hrs we were released seems the ruck they was looking for had a woman driver and it was a different color of truck.. well now we fast forward about 2 months.. and i was at work at my old day job and the buddy has one of these city officials drop by for a job pickup, well i walk out of the back room see the official and my buddy points towards me as he is talking with this guy.. well i made a dash for the door and was outside in record time.. the official and the buddy had a great laugh as they wernt looking for a old bearded guy.. :)

Last edited:
Would of never effected us positive salesmen ;) One time{at band camp,lol}, I went door to door for 8 yrs after I got out of the Army...had one particularly nasty cussing fellow who gave me an earful before slamming the door.....I simply went around to his side door and knocked again... He answered with the most dumbfounded confused look I've ever witnessed...I looked him square in the eye and said..."Hi, hope your not as mean as that sob out front is"....No he didn't buy from me, but our laughter kept me going for quite some time. :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good one Ken!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

nuther salvage yard story

'nuther one from the salvage yard days. First year or so I had it, food in the area was hard to come by. Major treat if my wife went into town for something else and brought something back from the Sonic drive in, an indication of how grim things were on the food front. Then Mr. Kenny and his wife opened a very solid restaurant just a mile up the highway. Once we tried it my wife Glenda and I ate lunch there every weekday for about six months without fail and we always brought back at least two or three plates for the help.

Glenda had a friend with a hair shop. She liked to visit Mary, and my men all wanted their hair cut most regularly since Mary would flirt with them while giving haircuts. Had to tell a couple youngsters that I wasn't wasting work time or Glenda's for them to get haircuts multiple times a week! I had the best groomed staff in the salvage business. :rofl:

One day Glenda had taken an eighteen year old hand to Mary's for a haircut about ten-thirty or eleven and got hung up. About 1:15 I decided if I wanted lunch I better go get it. Mr. Kenny's regular food was fine but his daily lunches were very good and they put so much on a plate that I had to insist on them cutting portions in half to cut down on waste although I was a hearty eater. They finally agreed to but then my meals became all I could eat, just ask for more. By this time as you would expect, Mr. Kenny, his wife, my wife, me, the two couples were good friends.

I sat down in my usual area in a booth facing away from the kitchen but there was a row of the 12"x12" mirror tiles at just above waist high all around the wall that let me see people behind me. As Mr. Kenny approached to take my order I slumped down in the booth, hung my head, and put on my most woebegone look. As soon as Mr. Kenny got to the table he asked, "What's Wrong? Where's Glenda? He had to ask a few times before I would even answer. "You wouldn't believe it, you just wouldn't believe it." Every time he asked this is all I would say over and over.

"What is it?" It took him five minutes or more to pry the story out of me a few words at a time.

"Glenda ran off with the help"

"No, I can't believe it." I'm cutting an eye to the tiles to keep an eye on Mr. Kenny and he is kinda hunched over himself with an arm hovering over my shoulders.

"Yeah, a little eighteen year old boy"

"Buddy, . . . . . ." Mr. Kenny is just at a total loss for words.

Same sad low tone of voice, "He was just getting to be good help too"

He was so into my story and act that while Mr. Kenny was a very intelligent and well educated man it took him thirty seconds to a minute to digest this last line and even start to recover. He told everyone that came in the place the story for days.

A double handful of pranks and practical jokes over the years that were pretty successful but I don't think I ever topped this one before or since. Watching his face in the mirror as he went from deep sympathy to dumbfounded to realizing he had been taken hook line and sinker was incredible. He did think it was hilarious once he recovered but that took a few minutes!

Hu