beautimus smooth finish, now what do I do?

The staff was sanded nice and smooth and then I applied a few coats of lacquer. It is smooth and pretty near perfect, a finish I would be happy to have on anything, anything but this staff that is. This is a using stick for walking uphill and down and the finish is far too smooth on this straight shaft. A little sweat, gloves, rain, pretty much anything and a hand could slip causing grief.

What can I put over lacquer to give it a little grip? I don't want anything as radical as another coat of lacquer with some fine blasting sand in it, I just want to get a little bit of all weather grab to the handle area. Oh yeah, one other minor detail, this is a Christmas present so I need the fix yesterday!

Thoughts?

Hu

put it on your lath and run a knurling tool across the main gripping area.. or you could just run some cross hatching in that area and then wrap it u and send it off:)

Thanks for the ideas!

I was hoping for a finish to go over the lacquer with a little more grip. The tennis racquet wrap is one option I am considering if I don't come up with a less obvious solution. The staff is slightly dual purpose, topped with a brass ice axe replica head. If something is in need of a whack or a poke the ice axe head and ice spike under the rubber foot pad could come in handy. Too, the way global warming has went so far we could have ice and snow here any decade now! I want to keep the shaft as strong as possible. Wish I had a knurling tool handy but I don't, I think that would work fine.

This is a little bit of a test piece too, I want a similar walking cane. I have to use a cane sometimes and I worry about that snow and ice thing here in south Louisiana! :D

Hu